Advising for transfer students

Transfer students, UNB Saint JohnIf you are a transfer student from another post-secondary institution, the first step is to apply to UNB Saint John at the Registrar's Office or online.

When you apply, make sure you have an official copy of your transcript sent directly from your first university or college to our Registrar's Office.

Questions should be directed to the Transfer Credit Coordinator ( in the Registrar's Office, Oland Hall, 1st Floor or call: (506) 648-5670

It's important that you tell us what discipline you wish to pursue as an honours, major, double major, and/or minor in your BA degree so it can be determined which courses and how many may be transferred into your BA degree.

Make sure you send to the Registrar's Office your course outlines for each course you took from each post-secondary institution you have attended. A transfer assessment cannot begin until this very important information has been received by our Registrar's Office.

If you are starting in:

  • September: This documentation is required before July 15th.
  • January: This documentation is required before November 15th.
  • May: This documentation is required before March 15th.

Once the assessment has been completed, you will be notified of the results by the Registrar's Office. You will be sent a copy of the transfer assessment results. If you do not receive a copy, please notify the Registrar's Office and you will be  sent a copy by email. 

Once you are accepted

While your courses are being assessed for possible transfer credits, you can go ahead with the following:

  • Look at the Transfer Credit Look Up site,,  to see if any courses that you have taken at other institutions have previously been assessed at UNB Saint John.
  • In the Undergraduate Calendar, read the requirements for your intended major, double major, honours, and/or minor if you know what discipline that is going to be. You need to complete a minimum of a single major.
  • If you are unsure as to what discipline you want to major in, then select and register for courses that interest you. Don't worry if these are not the right selections. You can always make changes after meeting with an Academic Advisor.
  • Go back to the Undergraduate Calendar and read the course descriptions to see if there are course prerequisites and if the course interests you.
  • Transfer students starting in January 2018 will be able to start registering for 2018 Winter (18/WI) courses once you are officially accepted. You will be able to select and register for your courses online.

Once you have your official transfer assessment

Contact your advisor based on your year of study or intended major. Print a copy of your current unofficial UNB transcript and bring it with you when you meet with your advisor. Your transcript can be obtained through your e-services under the academic tab.

Due to asthma and allergies please refrain from smoking and wearing perfume, cologne, after shave and other scented products when you come to the office for advising. Thank you.