Academic questions

What are the minimum requirements for a bachelor of arts degree?

The Bachelor of Arts degree (BA) requires the completion of a minimum of 40 term-courses (120 credit hours). Labs are not considered courses. Some courses do require labs to be completed in order to receive credit for the course, but only credit hours associated with a course will be counted toward the BA requirements.

Can I graduate with a general arts degree?

No, you must at least choose a single major in one discipline or a double major in two disciplines.

What is meant by honours, major, double major and minor?

See the undergraduate programs page for a full description.

What is meant by a grade point average and how to calculate it?

Grade point averages are calculated by dividing the total number of grade points obtained (credit hours x grade point weight) by the number of credit hours attempted during the period in question in the program. Grade point averages are shown to one decimal place. The university calculates two of them, which will form part of your official record: the Assessment GPA and the Cumulative GPA.

The Assessment GPA is calculated at the end of the assessment period, April to May, provided that 8 term-courses (24 credit hours) or more have been attempted in the program since the last assessment in that program. All work attempted toward the current program of study (including the no degree program) is included in the assessment.

The Cumulative GPA is based on all work taken toward a degree program. It is used to determine your divisional standing at graduation.

I think I should be on the Dean's List. Who can I talk to about this?

The Dean's List notation is determined by the Registrar's Office. If you feel that you should have been included on this list, the undergraduate calendar  (section I. Standing and Promotion Requirements) has complete details on how the Dean's list is compiled. If you still have concerns, contact the Registrar's Office.

What is academic probation?

In order to continue in good academic standing you must achieve an Assessment GPA of at least 2.0 for the assessment period. A transcript notation "In good academic standing"; appears at the end of the term record.

  • If your assessment GPA falls below 2.0 but above 1.0 in an assessment period you are placed on academic probation. You are allowed to go on academic probation only once in a program.
  • If you have previously been placed on academic probation and your GPA in any subsequent assessment period falls below 2.0, you are subject to review by the Faculty concerned and required to withdraw from the university for at least 12 months. If you are readmitted, it is normally on academic probation.
  • If your GPA falls to 1.0 or below in any assessment period you are required to withdraw from the university for at least 12 months. If you are readmitted, it is normally on academic probation.

No credit is granted for courses taken during the 12 month period during which you are required to withdraw.

If your GPA on assessment is such that you would normally be placed on academic probation, or be required to withdraw from the university, you will be allowed to graduate if all other requirements of the program have been completed at that time.

If, at the end of the term in which you have completed all other requirements of the program, you have not reached the end of an assessment interval, you will be allowed to graduate without reference to the GPA in that session.