|Home | About NBMHP | Provincial Sites | Books | Links | Contact|
French Military Supply Depot
Archaeological site of French supply depot built in 1749.
Butte a Roger
An outpost for Fort Beausejour was built on Butte a Roger, a knoll about 3/4 of a mile from the fort, overlooking the Missaguash River and the British Fort Lawrence. On June 3rd, 1755 a British patrol crossed the Missaguash River ostensibly to recover straying cattle but with the intent of reconnoitre the French defences. It was opposed by Ensign de Langy, the outpost commander. The next day, after the British had captured Pont a Buot, the French abandoned Butte a Roger.
Pont a Buot Redoubt
In order to impede a British advance from Fort Lawrence, Louis Du Pont Duchambon de Vergor, the French commander of Fort Beausejour, ordered the bridge called Pont a Buot Bridge the Missaguash River destroyed and a redoubt containing four small swivel-guns built to command the crossing,. On June 4th, 1755 the British captured the redoubt after a brief skirmish, which left one French soldier killed and an Acadien settler wounded.
Capture of Lieutenant Thomas Dickson, Gorham Rangers
Capture of a British Schooner
Community of Malakoff
Malakoff was the name of one of the defensive works protecting the eastern side City of Sebastopol. It played a major role in the siege of Sebastopol during the Crimean War and was unsuccessfully attacked by the Allies on September 8th, 1855.
When the Sackville Woodworkers Ltd factory burned down the Sackville Women's Civic Council undertook to develop the site into a memorial park to commemorate the dead of World War One. The park and cenotaph were dedicated in 1921. Since then plaques for World War Two and the Korean War have been added and a Ferret Scout Car is on display.
World War Two RCAF
Repair Depot Scoudouc
The Scoudouc airfield was a repair depot used to service aircraft employed on long range anti-submarine patrols, including Liberators or B-24s, American built four engine bombers. (Painting available by War Artist Moe Reinblatt).
Town of Dieppe
In 1946, in remembrance of the Raid on Dieppe, the community of Leger's Corners adopted the name of this celebrated World War Two Canadian battle. This raid on the north coast of France occurred on August 19th, 1942 and was an expensive prelude to the invasion of occupied Europe. Of the 4963 Canadians embarked for this operation only 2211 returned to England, with the force suffering a total of 3367 casualties. In the memorial park next to the Dieppe Town Hall there is a mural depicting a World War Two soldier, incorporating an actual Lee-Enfield rifle and bayonet. The 913 stones that are contained in the cenotaph were gathered by French school children from the beaches of Dieppe and each signify one of the 913 Canadians killed in the raid.
Still in partial use by New Brunswick Militia District, 32 Service Battalion & 8th Hussars. PMQs in Acadia Park District. Storage hanger at Moncton Airport in vicinity of new terminal. Old hanger on John St - now demolished. Moncton Garrison Officers' Mess now Legion building. No 31 RAF buildings on Collishaw Street.
It was an operational station with 164 (Transport) Squadron stationed there from 20 January 1943 to 30 September 1945. No 8 Service Flying Training School, part of No 3 Training Command of the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan was established in Moncton for pilot training in December 1940, 16 weeks a head of schedule, although handicapped by a shortage of aircraft. After completing their initial training course, those selected for pilot training then Moncton for a seven week elementary flying training. The failure rate in this phase was about 25%. In January 1944 it was moved to Weyburn, Saskatchewan. No 31 Personnel Depot was also located at Moncton, a reception centre for members of the RAF moving to and from Canada and the United States. No 2 Embarkation Depot was also located in Moncton.
Military Equipment Display
At the St George Street entrance to Centennial Park there is the following display of military equipment: - The anchor from the escort aircraft carrier HMCS Magnificent. It was presented to the City of Moncton by Rear Admiral D.S. Boyle CD on behalf of Maritime Command on 11 August 1974. - A Sherman tank called “Coriano”, painted with the tactical signs of the 8th Canadian Hussars (Princess Louise) presented to the City of Moncton by Brigadier General S.V. Radley-Walters DSO MC CD on behalf of the Regiment on 14 May 1972. “Coriano” is one of the Regiment’s battle honours from the Italian Campaign. - CF 100 Mark 5 (Canuck Aircraft) Serial 18488. This plane was first test flown on 31 August 1955 and its last flight occurred on 20 April 1966. This monument was unveiled on 14 August 1966.
Marked by buildings, old PMQs, and red & white water tower.
8th Hussars Armoury
Across from Post Office.
Petitcodiac War Museum
This excellent museum, located upstairs in the Legion building, preserves the memories and artifacts of those from the Petitcodiac region who served in the First and Second World Wars, the Korean Conflict, and as peacekeepers. It houses more than 5,000 artifacts. Admission is by donation.
Top of page