If you or someone you know has been impacted by sexual violence our Campus Sexual Support Advocates can provide:

  • Initial and ongoing support
  • Confidential consultation regarding options available for medical services
  • Safety planning
  • Guidance on criminal processes and campus discipline
  • Academic accommodations

There are also a number of other resources available to you on and off campus.

It’s often difficult to disclose and report incidents of sexual assault. It’s entirely up to you if you choose to report the incident, however, we strongly encourage you to do so.

24 Hour Sexual Assault Support Line

Outside regular business hours on either campus you can call the 24 Hour Sexual Assault Support Line.

  • Fredericton: 506-454-0437
  • Saint John: 506-454-0437

CHIMO Help Line Inc.

The CHIMO Help Line provides crisis intervention, referrals and vital information in a caring, confidential manner. CHIMO provides active listening and support to those in any type of crisis 24/7, including all holidays.

Toll-free line: 1-800-667-5005

Fredericton Campus Resources

Counselling Services provides individual and group counselling to students for personal/mental health issues. They serve part-time and full-time undergraduate and graduate students from UNB and STU.

Contact Counselling Services: Visit us in CC Jones Student Services Centre (2nd floor), 506-453-4820,

Student Health Centre: Full-time undergraduate and graduate students have access to many health services such as physical exams, reproductive and sexual health, specimen collection, and wound care. The Student Health Centre serves part-time and full-time undergraduate and graduate students from UNB and STU.

Contact the Student Health Centre: Visit us in CC Jones Student Services Centre (3rd floor), 506-453-4837,

UNB Security is available to assist you 24/7. In an emergency, any of the following will reach security:

  • Call 506-453-4830
  • Press the yellow security button on any payphone
  • Use a red elevator phone
  • Use an emergency blue phones on the Fredericton campus

Safe Ride & Safe Walk: If you’re working or studying late, call 506-453-4830 or 506-470-8304 for a safe-walk home.

If you’re a full-time undergraduate student, show Safe Ride your student ID and they’ll drive you home as long as the destination is within the highlighted area.

Pickup locations are at the SUB, Head Hall, and James Dunn Hall (STU Campus) entrances. Designated white boards will inform you when the next pick up will take place.

Fredericton Community Resources

  • Fredericton City Police: 506-460-2300
  • Dr. Everett Chalmers Hospital: 506-452-5400

The Fredericton Sexual Assault Centre provides advocacy and support for those impacted by sexual violence. FSAC offers individual as well as group therapy, community presentations, and professional training. Call: 506-454-0460

The Chrysalis House provides a nurturing home for youth to mend their past hurts and a supportive and engaging environment for them to develop essential life skills. Call: 506-451-4767

Women in Transition is a transition house for abused women and their children. The staff at the transition house can provide counselling and give information about legal options and social services. Transition houses are open 24 hours every day, seven days a week. An abused woman and her children can stay there free of charge for about one month. Crisis Line: 506-459-2300 | Office: 506-457-2770

The Multicultural Association of Fredericton assists new arrivals in the community by providing referral services with respect to legal aid, tax aid, human rights, refugee assistance and language orientation. Contact for interpreter services. Call: 506-454-8292

Gagetown Military Family Resource Centre provides short-term counselling, referral services, daycare and support groups. For military families. Call: 506-422-3352 or 1-800-866-4546

Gignoo Transition House is a provincial service for abused aboriginal women and their children. Call: 506-458-1236 or 1-800-565-6878

The YMCA Family Friend Program is a program that matches a volunteer with a single parent who is feeling alone due to the stresses of parenting young children. Call: 506-472-1395

Saint John Campus Resources

UNB Student Health Centre: The purpose of the centre is to meet the healthcare needs of all students by focusing on disease prevention, education and wellness. We offer nurse practitioner and physician services.

Contact the Student Health Centre: Visit us at 100 Tucker Park Road, 506-648-5656,

UNB Saint John Counselling Services offers free, individual, confidential counselling. You can bring any issue here that’s on your mind. If one of the counsellors can't help with your particular situations, they will try to direct you to someone who can.

Contact Counselling Services: Visit us at Oland Hall G18/19, 506-648-2308 / 506-648-2309,

UNB Security is available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. All payphones on campus are connected directly to the duty security member's cell phone. No coin is required. Simply pick up the receiver and push the Security button, or call 506-648-5675.

Saint John Community Resources

  • Saint John City Police: 506-648-3333
  • Saint John Regional Hospital: 506-648-600

Hestia House provides temporary shelter to women and children who are victims of family violence. All services are provided free of charge. Call: 506-634-7570

The Saint John Multicultural & Newcomers Resource Centre is a non-profit organization that provides an integrated approach to services for newcomers. All the services are free for immigrants in order to encourage and promote cultural diversity. Call: 506-642-4242

Gagetown Military Family Resource Centre provides short-term counselling, referral services, daycare, and support groups. For military families. Call: 506-422-3352 or 1-800-866-4546

Gignoo Transition House is a provincial service for abused aboriginal women and their children. Call 506-458-1236 or 24-hour support line: 1-800-565-6878

Domestic Violence Outreach: Located at the Community Health Center, Domestic ViolenceOutreach is a free confidential service working to improve the lives of individuals affected by violence. Meeting in a safe secure meeting place, Domestic Violence Outreach provides one on one counselling and offers safety planning and guidance. Domestic Violence Outreach acts as a liaison to other community services, make onsite visits to other community agencies and provides information sessions to community groups. Call: 506-649-2580 or 506-632-5616

Online resources

  • FSAC provides information and resources on sexual assault for Fredericton and New Brunswick.
  • Male Survivor is a research, education and advocacy organization for male survivors.
  • RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network)
  • The Survivor Manual is a place where survivors who have moved on to thriving can share what worked for them under all aspects of healing.

Seeking medical help?

Regardless of whether you are injured, it is still important to seek medical attention. You may need to consider your risk for sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy. It’s important that you go to the hospital, clinic, or your family doctor after a sexual assault.

Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE)

If you go to the hospital, you may be seen by a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner, often called a SANE or SANE nurse. A SANE is a nurse specially trained in responding to patients who have been sexually assaulted, and in collecting evidence. If one is not available, you may be seen by a physician, nurse practitioner, and/or physician’s assistant. A crisis intervener from the Fredericton Sexual Assault Crisis Centre will be present at the hospital regardless of who is treating you.

What is a “Rape Kit”?

A forensic evidence kit, sometimes called a “rape kit” is a box that holds swabs, bags, containers, and forms. The kit can sometimes take a long time (an hour or more), and can feel intrusive. The SANE or doctor will use the kit to collect evidence from your body. You will also need to talk about what happened to you. They will listen to what happened to you, and then collect evidence where they can.

This kit allows for evidence to be collected if you decide to report your experience to the police. You do not have to make the decision to report at the hospital, they can preserve the evidence for up to 6 months while you consider your options.