Support Staff Employment Opportunity
Senior Manager, Communications
Office of the President UNB Fredericton
|Competition #:||#011-14.15||Closing Date:||May 23, 2014 4:00PM|
|Employment Group:||A.P.T.||Salary or Rate:||$49,734 - $64,658 Per Annum|
|Employment Date:(tentative)||As soon as possible||Hours per Week:||Full-Time (36.25 HPW)|
|Position Length:(tentative)||5 Year Term||Funding:||University Budget|
The position of Senior Manager, Communications, reports directly to the Director and Senior Advisor, Office of the President with a dotted line report to the Associate Director, Communications and Marketing. This position develops, coordinates and prioritizes presidential communication strategies, plans and tactics, and works closely with Communications and Marketing, ensuring that strategic initiatives and key messages are coordinated with institutional priorities, marketing communications messaging and brand strategies.
• Develop and manage a proactive communications plan for the Office of the President in support of the President’s vision and the University’s strategic plan.
• Build the President’s brand and expands his profile by reinforcing key messages through a variety of activities.
• Provide strategic counsel and manage issues and crisis communications. Identify issues with the potential for reputational risk and provides recommendations.
• Write speeches, speaking notes and articles such as op-eds in support of the President’s vision.
• Work with marketing communications to manage the production of collateral required by the President’s Office including the President’s Annual Report.
• Identify issues of potential media interest and ensure the President is briefed on speaking points and key messages.
• Collaborate with communications staff and external partners to ensure messages are aligned.
• Stay abreast of emerging issues by attending appropriate internal meetings.
• Manage and develop the President’s website and social media accounts.
• Draft correspondence, reports, presentations and messages and work with the Office of the President to ensure routine presidential correspondence follows proper style, tone and messaging.
• Undergraduate degree in Communications, Public Affairs, Journalism, Business, Management or related discipline.
• Minimum 7 years of direct experience in advising and supporting executive leaders in communications and media relations.
• Superior writing, editing and proofreading skills.
• Demonstrated experience in media/public relations as well as diplomacy, professionalism and confidentiality.
• Established network of provincial media contacts – familiarity with national and post-secondary media contacts is desirable.
• Knowledge of post-secondary education sector and structures, programs and players including a thorough understanding of the university’s policies, procedures and governance processes.
• An understanding of priorities of three orders of government and how they impact the institution.
• Ability to work independently while simultaneously managing multiple priorities under very challenging time constraints.
• Willing to be on-call outside of normal business hours and able to travel regularly between campuses.
For more information, please contact:
Human Resources Room 102
Physics & Admin. Building
UNB Saint John
Financial & Admin. Services
Room 114/115, Oland Hall
We thank all applicants for their interest but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications will be accepted ONLY until the end of regular business hours on the closing date.
THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW BRUNSWICK IS COMMITTED TO THE PRINCIPLE OF EMPLOYMENT EQUITY