Support Staff Employment Opportunity
Library Assistant PL3 (2 positions available)
Harriet Irving Library UNB Fredericton
|Competition #:||#075-13.14||Closing Date:||October 2, 2013 4:30PM|
|Employment Group:||A.P.T.||Salary or Rate:||$16.09 - $19.23 Per Hour|
|Employment Date:(tentative)||A soon as possible||Hours per Week:||Part-Time (Variable Hours)|
|Position Length:(tentative)||Continuing||Funding:||University Budget|
Directed by the Access Services Supervisor for Evenings and Weekends, the incumbent provides service to students, faculty, staff and members of the public at the HIL Commons Services Desk. Some supervision of student assistants may be included. Hours of work will vary through the academic year. Exam period will involve shifts until midnight or possibly later, while spring and summer hours may be very limited.
• Provide service to an academically and culturally diverse student, faculty, staff, and public population at the HIL Commons Service Desk.
• Accurately interpret and navigate WMS circulation system, protecting the confidentiality of personal information while dealing diplomatically with possible fines or other penalties.
• Thoroughly understand relevant library policies and procedures, interpret and apply policies. Deal with inquiries and concerns, and refer problems to senior staff.
• Handle minor security problems, referring problems of a more serious nature to Security and appropriate library personnel.
• Handle financial transactions (payment of fines, etc.). Ensure the safe storage of cash, debit slips, and copy cards.
• Process, register, and renew Community Borrower and Alumni cards; place holds/recalls for patrons online, in person, and over the telephone.
• Sort and shelve materials.
• May be required to participate in supervision of library student assistants.
• May be required to provide service at any one of three library locations on the Fredericton campus.
• Assist in opening and closing of library.
• Perform other duties as required.
• High school graduation supplemented by at least 2 years’ experience in a public service area of an academic library OR an equivalent combination of training and experience.
• Basic keyboarding skills and ability to work with word processing software such as Microsoft Word.
• Ability to work effectively in an online environment, preferably with experience working with an online circulation system.
• Physical stamina for lifting, standing, walking, bending is required.
• Must be courteous and congenial and able to work well with library users.
• Must be able to work evenings and weekends; hours vary but average 13-17 hours per week (fewer during summer months).
• Able to work effectively alone with little supervision, and as a member of a team.
• Excellent communication skills combined with a strong public service orientation.
• Demonstrated ability to interpret policies and procedures.
For more information, please contact:
Human Resources Room 102
Physics & Admin. Building
UNB Saint John
Financial & Admin. Services
Room 114/115, Oland Hall
We thank all applicants for their interest but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications will be accepted ONLY until the end of regular business hours on the closing date.
THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW BRUNSWICK IS COMMITTED TO THE PRINCIPLE OF EMPLOYMENT EQUITY