Support Staff Employment Opportunity
Library Assistant PL3
Gerard V. La Forest Law Library UNB Fredericton
|Competition #:||#001-13.14||Closing Date:||May 27, 2013 4:00PM|
|Employment Group:||S.A.L.A.C.||Salary or Rate:||$16.25 - $19.42 Per Hour|
|Employment Date:(tentative)||As soon as possible||Hours per Week:||Part-Time (18 HPW)|
|Position Length:(tentative)||3 Year Term||Funding:||University Budget|
A completed UNB Application Form is required (including resume):
Reporting to the Technical Services Librarian, this position is responsible for performing library assistant duties in the Law Library including verifying, searching, inputting and editing catalogue records, processing new acquisitions, and catalogue maintenance. The position is also responsible for maintaining the library’s reserve collections, checking-in and processing serial government documents, and staffing the circulation desk as needed.
• Create brief catalogue records of in-pro items and local reserve items.
• Input into the catalogue the changes made to cataloguing copy.
• Edit existing cataloguing records to reflect changes in holding, location, etc. and delete records for items being withdrawn from the collection.
• Produce spine labels and process books as needed.
• Maintain library statistics related to the cataloguing and processing of new materials.
• Correspond with faculty members each term to determine what materials are needed for course reserves.
• Clone existing courses for the next academic term and add new items to individual course reserves in UNB’s Course Reserves system.
• Maintain continuing reserve collections by adding and removing items in consultation with the Head Law Librarian.
• Maintain reserve records to ensure accuracy and a copyright compliance record.
• Perform check-in of serial government publications in an electronic file and process them for shelving.
• Download, print, and bind internet government publications.
• Shelve government documents and maintain the collection in good order.
• Staff circulation desk, which includes charging and discharging books, directional and reference help, handling money, collecting fines, opening and closing the library as needed, and assisting student employees with circulation related problems.
• Shelve and retrieve books from the library storage area and the library’s rare books room.
• Maintain New Books display.
• Undergraduate degree, completion of library assistant or technician program, or comparable combination of education and experience.
• 3 years’ related experience, including some cataloguing work. Previous work in a law library highly desirable.
• Knowledge of a variety of modules in an integrated library system (ILS), including cataloguing, reserves, circulation; some knowledge of cataloguing standards such as AACR2/RDA, MARC coding, Library of Congress Classification and Subject Headings, and KF Modified Classification; familiarity with bibliographic databases and excellent searching skills; knowledge of legal terminology and materials; some experience with handling Canadian government publications; familiarity with maintenance of reserve collections; good communication, computer and organizational skills; good judgment, accuracy and attention to detail.
For more information, please contact:
Human Resources Room 102
Physics & Admin. Building
UNB Saint John
Financial & Admin. Services
Room 114/115, Oland Hall
We thank all applicants for their interest but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications will be accepted ONLY until the end of regular business hours on the closing date.
THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW BRUNSWICK IS COMMITTED TO THE PRINCIPLE OF EMPLOYMENT EQUITY