Support Staff Employment Opportunity
Academic Advising Support Coordinator
Associate Vice President Academic (Learning Environment) UNB Fredericton
|Competition #:||#114-12.13||Closing Date:||February 1, 2013 4:30PM|
|Employment Group:||A.P.T.||Salary or Rate:||Commensurate with qualifications & experience.|
|Employment Date:(tentative)||As soon as possible||Hours per Week:||Full-Time (36.25 HPW)|
|Position Length:(tentative)||3 Year Term||Funding:||University Budget|
A completed UNB Application Form is required (including resume):
Note: Current UNB employees interested in a temporary assignment are invited to apply and will be considered.
In its strategic plan, the University of New Brunswick commits to providing a transformative and exceptional experience for our students. Academic advisors play a critical role in helping to ensure that students have such an experience. It is through advising that students are supported as they make key academic decision, navigate the campus landscape, and make important plans for their future.
Recognizing that advising activities take place within the academic faculties and are provided by both professional staff and faculty members, the Academic Advising Support Coordinator will be tasked with developing and promoting a consistent, yet faculty specific, approach to advising for students that supports the institution’s mission, is based on professional standards and supports student learning and development.
Working out of the Centre for Enhanced Teaching and Learning, the Academic Advising Support Coordinator reports to the Associate Vice-President Academic (Learning Environment).
• Develop resources and deliver programs to meet the professional development needs of new and seasoned academic advisors.
• Develop tools to assist academic advisors with the management of advising sessions and advising records. This includes researching and making recommendations on technology specific to academic advising, as well as providing training and support on relevant technologies.
• Ensure that professional development programming identifies the unique challenges of special populations and supports academic advisors in meeting these needs.
• Develop an assessment plan to measure the efficacy of academic advising.
• Develop and administer an academic advisor recognition program that acknowledges and highlights the important role that advising plays in student success.
• Liaise with the University community to communicate the university’s vision and mission for academic advising and promote a campus environment that values academic advising.
• Other related duties as assigned.
• Minimum of a master’s level degree required. Minimum of three years’ experience in a related field.
• Demonstrated research and presentation skills.
• Experience advising or teaching at a post-secondary level.
• Strong communication skills: ability to speak and write clearly and accurately; balance listening and talking.
• Demonstrated ability to build strong working relationships and to develop and implement programs.
• Some experience with records management processes, including student information systems and related technology.
• Strong organizational skills, ability to self-direct and achieve results.
• Familiarity with literature in the field would be an asset.
For more information, please contact:
Human Resources Room 102
Physics & Admin. Building
UNB Saint John
Financial & Admin. Services
Room 114/115, Oland Hall
We thank all applicants for their interest but wish to advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications will be accepted ONLY until the end of regular business hours on the closing date.
THE UNIVERSITY OF NEW BRUNSWICK IS COMMITTED TO THE PRINCIPLE OF EMPLOYMENT EQUITY