UNBF Valedictorian Selection Process
The UNB valedictorian provides a formal address to all fellow graduating students and to faculty and guests at Encaenia. Any University of New Brunswick student, staff or faculty member can nominate a graduating student to be valedictorian. Potential candidates should meet the criteria outlined below.
Four valedictorians will be selected for the May Encaenia; one valedictorian for each May Encaenia ceremony. Valedictorians will write and deliver an address to fellow graduates, faculty, honoured guests, friends and family attending Encaenia.
Eligibility and Criteria
Nominees/candidates for the 2018 Valedictorian positions are required to meet the criteria listed below:
- Students must be graduating from a degree program at the UNB Fredericton campus.
- Students must be graduating at the upcoming May Encaenia and have completed their application to graduate by March 1, 2018.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 in their last 60 credit hours.
- Involvement in campus and community activities will be strongly considered.
- Candidates should have strong public speaking skills.
- Selection of valedictorian will be based upon a scored interview process by a panel of UNB representatives comprised of 3-5 individuals including student representation.
- Decisions of the Selection Committee will be released in 2018.
Four (4) valedictorians will be selected; one for each May graduation ceremony:
Ceremony A - Wednesday, May 16, 10 a.m. — Science and Nursing
Ceremony B - Wednesday, May 16, 2:30 p.m. — Business Administration, Kinesiology and Education
Ceremony C - Thursday, May 17, 10 a.m. — Arts, Law, Renaissance College and Interdisciplinary Studies
Ceremony D - Thursday, May 17, 2:30 p.m. — Engineering, Forestry & Environmental Management and Computer Science