10. Grade Standards

A student's final standing in a course will be indicated by one of the following letter grades A+ (4.3 grade points), A (4.0), A- (3.7), B+ (3.3), B (3.0), B- (2.7), C+ (2.3), C (2.0), D (1.0), or F (0.0). Graduate credit will be given for required courses in which a grade of C or better is obtained. A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 must be maintained for required courses in order to graduate. In the calculation of this grade point average a full year course shall be assigned twice the weight of a term course. The number of courses in which credit is required is determined by the student's GAU, subject to any overriding regulations which may exist for the particular degree. 

Notwithstanding the above, the performance of a student who obtains a cumulative grade point average of less than 3.0, or who obtains one or more grades in the range of D to F, shall be considered unsatisfactory, and appropriate action will be taken by the GAU in consultation with the Dean of Graduate Studies. Normally a student whose performance is considered to have been unsatisfactory will be required to withdraw from the School of Graduate Studies. Where the unsatisfactory performance is due to a grade in a single course, a student may normally petition to the School of Graduate Studies to take a single course to replace the unsatisfactory one or to repeat the course. Where the Dean, after consultation with the GAU, elects to grant permission, the mark in the replacement course shall be substituted for the original grade in question.

In some GAUs and Faculties, seminar courses are required to be completed satisfactorily, but no grade is assigned. Such courses will receive a CREDIT on the transcript. 

The grade of INC (Incomplete) is awarded only on the basis of illness supported by medical evidence, on compassionate grounds, or on other unusual circumstances upon the recommendation of the faculty member concerned and with the approval of the Registrar. 

An INC grade which remains on a student's record by the end of the term following the submission of the INC, will be converted to an F unless arrangements to extend the period of holding the INC, which satisfy the School of Graduate Studies, are made. 

Where a course extends beyond the normal duration (e.g. a reading course or a seminar type course covering more than one year), a grade INP (In Progress) may be used until the course is complete.