Graduate student assistantships

You may be eligible for graduate academic, teaching and research assistantships.

Each program handles funding, awards, assistantships, and research assistants differently, so it is best to contact the program or research supervisor regarding these opportunities.

Graduate teaching assistantships (GSTAs)

  • Full-time and part-time students are eligible.
  • Graduate programs award GTAs from their own budgets.
  • Work is in support of the teaching activities of the program.

Graduate research assistantships (GRA)

  • GRAs are available to full-time students only.
  • GRAs are awarded by the Graduate Programs from funds allocated by the School of Graduate Studies.

Graduate academic assistantships (GAAs)

  • Scholarships including NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR as well as funding coming from a supervisor with no work expectation, which is considered thesis related research that forms the basis of the student's thesis/dissertation.

Research assistants (GSRAs)

  • Full-time and part-time students are eligible
  • RA funds come from research grants or contracts awarded to faculty members by external agencies and administered by the university.
  • The Office of Research Services approves RAs