Objectives & Initiatives for Advising Support
The Academic Advising Support Coordinator is tasked with six primary objectives or responsibilities, each with its own planned initiatives. These are our objectives and initiatives set for April 2016 to April 2018.
Develop tools and resources to meet the professional development needs of advisors.
- Maintain an up-to-date online "Toolkit" that serves as a repository of information and professional development resources.
- Offer monthly professional development opportunities in a variety of formats covering relevant topics.
- Offer targeted professional development to groups and individuals upon request.
- Encourage participation in advising and student support conferences.
Develop appropriate resources for students and advisors to use in advising process.
- Assess student needs (directly & via literature).
- Develop & maintain a "Student Toolkit" to centralize access to resources for student support, such as self-awareness, academic skill development, career planning, etc.
- Maintain an updated Career Connections website in suppport of "Integrated Career and Academic Advising."
Develop tools to assist advisors with the management of sessions and records
- Explore technological options available for caseload management, early alert systems, referrals, and the like.
- Participate as member of "Early Alert" pilot project.
- Distribute interim solutions to assist advisors manage and track appointments and advising sessions.
- Explore other existing and emerging technologies relevant to advising and assess their applicability to our campus.
Develop an assessment plan to measure the efficacy of the various aspects of academic advising.
- Launch working group to develop multi-pronged assessment plan.
- Areas of assessment:
- self assessment of faculty /department / unit
- self assessment of advisor
- comprehensive assessment of support activities (resources & professional development).
- Identify, develop, and apply appropropriate assessment mechanisms and tools.
- Apply assessment results.
Develop a recognition program that highlights the role of advising in student success.
- Host Advisor Appreciation Activities in Summer 2016.
- Launch working group to explore appreciation /recognition strategies and event options, including established and emerging models.
- Develop pilot Advisor Recognition Program to be launched in Winter Term 2017.
Promote a campus environment that values academic advising.
- Develop a campaign that highlights the importance of advising that encourages students to engage actively in the advising experience.
- Develop a communications strategy for the year including scheduling time specific messages, creating templates and maintaining mailing lists.
- Collaborate with appropriate units to incorporate advising-relevant messages into existing and emerging communications plans/tools
- Maintain up-to-date advising websites for both faculty/staff, and students.