Please note: This video is a simulation of a live active threat scenario and may be difficult for some to watch.
Do not move toward the location of the threat
These guidelines have been developed for “active threat” situations in accordance with the best practices established by law enforcement experts.
- If there is an accessible escape route take it
- Have a plan in mind ahead of time
- Evacuate even if others are not prepared to follow
- Leave your belongings behind
- Help others escape if possible
- Keep your hands visible
- Follow instructions of police
- Do not attempt to move wounded persons
- Call 911 when it is safe to do so
- If you cannot get out, find a place to hide where it is less likely the shooter will find you
- Provide protection if shots are fired in your direction
- Do not trap yourself or restrict your options for movement
- Keep the threat out if you can:
- Lock the door
- Turn off lights
- Blockade the door or entrance with heavy furniture
- Turn off noisemakers (phones, radios, etc.)
- Be quiet
- As a last resort and if your life is in imminent danger attempt to incapacitate the threat
- Act as aggressive as possible
- Throw items or improvise weapons
- Commit to your actions. No half measures
Take all threats seriously
When Police arrive they will move to eliminate the threat before anything else.
Do not jump up when officers enter your room/location. Remain calm and follow their instructions. Never run or make quick movements towards the responding officers and make sure you have nothing in your hands and that they are visible (palms up facing out fingers spread).Once located in a secure area call 911 and provide the dispatcher with the following information:Your name. Location of the incident (be as specific as possible). Number of threatening/violent persons (if known). Identification or description of those individuals(s). Number of persons who may be involved. Your exact location. Injuries if known.
Note: Individuals not immediately impacted by the situation are to take protective cover staying away from windows and doors until notified otherwise.