Patricia Seaman, RN, BN, MN, PhD
Phone: (506) 458-7776
Fax: (506) 453-4519
- Diploma in Nursing -Women’s College Hospital in association with Ryerson Polytechnical Institute (1975)
- Diploma in Rehabilitation Nursing – George Brown College (1977)
- BN – University of New Brunswick (1991)
- MN – Dalhousie University (1999)
- Diploma in University Teaching – UNB (2002)
- PhD– University of New Brunswick (Educational Studies) (2009)
Key area(s) of interest/expertise:
- Pandemic planning/emergency preparedness
- Community health/community development
- Primary health care/population health
- Early Boomer Women’s retirement
- Spouse as caregiver
- Community health nurse education
Classroom/clinical teaching summary
- Community health and development based on the principles of Primary Health Care and Population Health. Particular emphasis is placed on vulnerable populations
- Integrated Nursing Theory - Provides students with opportunity to integrate theory and practice particular population from a Population Health approach
- Canadian Health Care System - explores how the Canadian health care system functions and impacts health of population
- Global Health Inequities explores the differences in health care between developed and developing countries across the world from a Population Health perspective.
Research, grants & publications summary
- Seaman, P. (2012). Time for my life now: Early boomer women’s anticipation of volunteering in retirement. The Gerontologist, 52(2), 245-254. Doi:10.1093/geront/gns001
- Meagher-Stewart, D., Solberg, S., Warner, G., MacDonald, J., McPherson, C., Seaman, P., (2012). Understanding the role of communities of practice in evidence-informed decision making in public health. Journal of Qualitative Health Research, 22(6), 723-739.
- Dietrich Leurer, M. A., Meagher-Stewart, D., Cohen, B.D., Seaman, P. M., Buhler, S., Granger, M., & Pattulleo, H. (2011). Developing guidelines for quality community health nursing clinical placements for baccalaureate nursing students. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship, 8(1) Article 23. DOI 10-2202/1548-923x.2297
- Antolovich, M., Buhler, S., Cohen, B., Dietrich Leurer, M., Froude, S., Granger, M., Stamler, L., Mansi, O., Meagher-Stewart, D., Pattullo, H., Rajsic. C., Seaman, P., Tober, J., Valaitis, R. (2010). Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing Guidelines for Quality Community Health Nursing Clinical Placements. CASN: Ottawa, ON.
- Meagher-Stewart, D., Solberg, S., Warner, G., MacDonald, J., MacPherson, C., Seaman, P., Goodyear, R., White, B., Nicholson, V., Skaarup, F., Young, L., & Wright, E. (March 31, 2009). Consensus Building Workshop on Evidence-Informed Decision Making and Communities of Practice.: Public Health Services, Capital Health, Halifax, NS. (PN-Research Report).
- Meagher-Stewart, D., Solberg, S., Warner, G., Goodyear, R., White, B., Edwards, N., Dobbins, M.., Langille, L., Seaman, P., MacPherson, C., MacDonald, J., Wright, E., Nicholson, V., Young, L., & Skaarup, F. (June 2008). Consensus Building Workshop: Promoting Evidence-Informed Decision Making by Public Health Nurses in Central Health, Newfoundland and Labrador: The Role of Communities of Practice. (PN-Research Report).
- Seaman, P. (2007). Should I get a flu shot? Third Age Centre Newsletter. (St. Thomas University). 17 (1).
- Wuest, J., Hodgins, M., Merritt-Gray, M., Seaman, P., (2007). The effects of past relationship and obligation on health and health promotion in women caregivers of adult family members. Journal of Advanced Nursing Science, 30(3), 206-220.
- Wuest, J., Hodgins, M., Merritt-Gray, M., Seaman, P., Malcolm, J, & Furlong, K. (2006). Queries and quandaries in developing and testing a measurement instrument derived from grounded theory. Journal of Theory Construction & Testing, 10 (1), 26-33.
- Dykeman, M, MacIntosh, J., Seaman, P., Davidson, P. (2003) The process of developing a program logic model to evaluate an academic nurse managed community health clinic. Journal of Professional Nursing, July-Aug.
- Seaman, P. (2003). Multiple choice testing: Will it work for me Teaching Voices (UNB), 35, 17-19.
- 2012 Baby Boomer Women and Retirement. UNB University Research Fund Competition (PI)
- 2010 Achieving Public Health Competencies in Nursing School of Graduate. Public Health Agency of Canada (Co-investigator)
- 2008 Communities of Practice within Public Health Nursing Practice. CIHR (Co-investigator)
- 2007 Achieving Public Health Competencies in Nursing School Graduates. Public Health Agency of Canada. (Co- investigator)
- 2007 Past Relationship and Obligation as Predictors of Health Outcomes and Health Promotion in Women Caregiving for Family Members with ADRD. Alzheimer’s Society. (Co- investigator)
- 2004 Health Canada - part of team to work as Senior's Affiliate for the Canadian Health Network.
- 2003 Influence of past relationship and obligation on health and health promotion in female caregivers of adult family members. CIHR (Co-investigator)
Professional practice, committees, volunteer work summary
- Pandemic preparedness committees
- Village of New Maryland Emergency Response committee
- Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing Sub-committee on Public Health Education
- Public Health Research and Knowledge Translation
- NANB Education committee member
- Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing Sub-committee on Public Health (2005-2010)
- Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing Task Force on Nursing Informatics
- Subcommittee of New Brunswick Council on Articulations and Transfer (NBCAT) LPN-BN Articulations