Marilyn J. Hodgins, RN, PhD
Marilyn J. Hodgins
Canadian Institute of Health Research / UNB New Investigator
Phone: (506) 458-7628
Fax: (506) 453-4519
- PhD (Nursing) - University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
- Master of Nursing - University of Alberta, Edmonton AB
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing - University of Western Ontario, London, ON
- Certificate in Emergency Nursing - Douglas College, New Westminster, BC
- Diploma in Nursing - Georgian College, Owen Sound, ON
Key area(s) of interest/expertise:
- Nursing Sciences - Emergency care, Acute Illness, Symptom Management, Pain
- Health Sciences - Access to Care, Health Behaviours, Rural Health Services
- Research Methods - Quantitative methods, Statistical modeling, Measurement, Clinical Significance
Classroom/clinical teaching summary
Health Research Statistics (Nurs6012)
Research, grants & publications summary
- Use of acute care services by adults with diabetes and the effect of self-management practices. Atlantic Health Sciences Corporation’s Health Promotion and Research Fund. Principal Investigator (2007 to 2008)
- Accessing immediate treatment for less-urgent health problems. Canadian Institutes of Health Research Operating Grant. Principal Investigator (2007 to 2008)
- Past relationship and obligation as predictors of health outcomes and health promotion in women caregiving for family members with ADRD. Alzheimer Society. Co-Investigator (2007 to 2009)
New Investigator Award. Symptom perception and the use of emergency health care resources by rural Canadians. CIHR/UNB Regional Partnership program (2003 to 2007)
- Hodgins, M.J., Ouellet, L., Pond, S., Knorr, S., & Geldart, G. (In press). Effect of telephone follow-up on surgical orthopaedic patients’ post-discharge. Applied Nursing Research.
- Hodgins, M.J., & Wuest, J.A. (2007). Discovering factors affecting use of the emergency department for less-urgent health problems in urban and rural areas. Canadian Journal of Nursing Research, 39(3), 78-102.
- Wuest, J.A., Hodgins, M.J., Malcolm, J., Merritt-Gray, M., & Seaman, P. (2007). The effects of past relationship and obligation on health and health promotion in women caregivers of adult family members. Advances in Nursing Science, 30, 206-220.
- Wuest, J.A., Hodgins, M.J., Merritt-Gray, M., Seaman, P., Malcolm, J., & Furlong, K. (2006). Queries and quandaries in developing and testing a measurement instrument derived from a grounded theory. Journal of Theory Construction and Testing, 10(1), 26-33.
- Logan, S., Pelletier-Hibbert, M., & Hodgins, M.J. (2006). Stress and coping in older hemodialysis patients. Journal of Advanced Nursing. 56, 382-391.
Professional practice, committees, volunteer work summary
- Member, UNB Research Ethics Board: (2002 to present)
- Member, Canadian Institute for Health Research, Allied Health Professionals' Award Committee (2007 to 2008)