Loretta Secco, RN, BScN, MN, PhD
Professor, Acting Director of Graduate Studies
Phone: (506) 458-7645
Fax: (506) 453-4519
- PhD (Community Health Sciences) University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, 1997
- MN (Community Health Nursing) University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, 1988
- BScN St Francis Xavier University, 1978
Key area(s) of interest/expertise:
- Parenting & Child Health – mothering competence, intimate partner violence, and difficult child behaviour
- Instrumentation and Quantitative research
- Nursing Information/Informatics
Research, grants & publications summary
- 2014-18 (Aug.): Secco, ML & Doiron-Maillet, N. Proposal for a Four-year site license for Nursing Central ™ for UNB Fredericton, Bathurst and Moncton programs. Successfully Funded though One-Time Funding Grant, ($56,000.00), UNB.
- 2013 - NBHRF Summer Student Award, project: Sustainable Telephone-Based Peer Support for Mothers with Postpartum Depression ($5200)
- 2012 - A Faculty Development Pilot to Implement Virtual Clinical Excursion in a Maternity Clinical Course, principal applicant with co-applicants K. Wilson, D Bulman and K Day (Atlantic Region Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing, $2000.000).
- 2012 - 14 - Student Technology Fund (STF) Application for a Two-Year Nursing Central Pilot for Information Support, principal applicant (UNB Student Technology Fund, VP Academic, and Dean of Nursing, $56,001.10).
- 2010-2011 - Phase I: Pilot Evaluation of a Virtual Clinical Experience (VCE) Among Senior Nursing Students, Principal Investigator with Co-Investigators: D Bulman and K Wilson (Sigma Theta Tau International, Technology Grant, $4879).
- 2009 – 2012 - Sustained Telephone Peer Support for Mothers with Postpartum Depression Co-Applicant with Dr. Nicole Letourneau (PA), with Co Applicants from U of T, UNB, U of A, and Dal with Decision Makers, Province of New Brunswick, (CIHR; PHSI Partnerships for Health Systems Improvement, $536,879).
- 2009-2010 - Postpartum Depression: Screening and Interventions in the Maritimes. Co-Investigator with N. Letourneau (PI) and other Co-I’s(L. Duffett-Leger, C. Brannen, K., Critchley, L. Secco, C. Dennis) (CIHR Meetings, Planning and Dissemination Grant, $14,642).
- 2009 - Pain in People with Developmental Disabilities: A Scoping Review, Temple (PI); Yu, MacMillan Kepron (U of M) and decision makers from St Amant Centre, Winnipeg, Manitoba, (CIHR Knowledge Synthesis Grant Application, $39,685).
- 2009 - Supporting Mothers’ Engagement in Community-Based Methadone Treatment, N Letourneau and G Munn (Co-Principal Applicants) with team of researchers and practitioners/decision makers from UNBSJ, Ridgewood Addictions, and District B (Atlantic Health Sciences Corporation, Health Promotion Research Fund, $ 29,895.23)
- 2007 - 2011 - Evaluation of the Island Community Justice Society, CATCH – Children At the Critical Hour (Restorative Justice Program for Children Under 12 Years of Age), funded by Island Justice Community Society, Sydney, Cape Breton
- 2005 – 2009 - Supporting mother-infant Relationships Affected by Intimate Partner Violence, funded by CIHR, with Letourneau (PI), and CO-Investigators: Hughes (Dal), Critchley (UPEI), Gill and Willms (UNB), and Sewart (Univ of Alberta)
- 2005- 2007 -An Evidence-based Pilot Project: The Influence of Information-Laden Handheld Computers on Computer Competence, Information Sources and Stress Levels of Nursing Students, completed data collection, funded by St FX Start-Up Grant, Role: Research Leader and Mentor for PI (Jamieson, CBU) and research team (Profit, Bailey, Brennick, (CBU); Whitty-Rogers, MacIsaac (ST FX).
Peer reviewed publications:
- Letourneau, N., Duffett-Leger, L., Stewart, M., Dennis, C.L., Secco. L., & Colpitts, J. (2016). Development of a Telephone-Based Peer Support Program for New Mothers with Postpartum Depression. Current Women’s Health Reviews, 12(1), 48-57.
- Secco, L., Furlong, K., Doyle, G., & Bailey, J. (2016In Press). Validation of the Mobile Information Software Evaluation Tool (MISET) with Nursing Students. Journal of Nursing Education, 55(7), 385-390.
- Doyle, G., Furlong, K., & Secco, L. (2016). Information Literacy in a Digital Era: Understanding the Impact of Mobile Information for Undergraduate Nursing Students. Paper published in conference Proceedings, Nursing Informatics Geneva 2016, eHealth for All, Geneva, Switzerland, June 25-29, 2016.
- Secco, L., Letourneau, N. & Collins, E. (ASP student). (Early Online, Jan. 15, 2016). ‘My Eyes Were Open’: Awakened Maternal Identity and Leaving Violent Relationships for the Infant/Children. Journal of Family Violence, 31(5), 639-645. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10896-016-9799-x.
- Letourneau*, N., Secco*, M.L. et al (2015). Quasi-experimental evaluation of the telephone peer support intervention for postpartum depression Journal of Advanced Nursing, 71(7), 1587-1599. *co-first authors, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jan.12622
- Secco, M.L., Letourneau, N., Campbell, M.A., Craig, S. (student research assistant), & Colpitts, J. (2014). Stresses, Strengths and Experiences of Mothers Engaged in Methadone Maintenance Treatment (MMT). Journal of Addictions Nursing, 25(3), 139-147. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25202811
- Secco, M.L., Nancy Doiron-Maillet, N., Amirault, D. & Furlong, K. (2014) Evaluation of Nursing Central© as an Information Tool: Part II: Clinical Instruction. Nursing Education Perspectives, 35(1), 54-55. http://dx.doi.org/10.5480/1536-5026-35.1.54
- Secco, M.L., Nancy Doiron-Maillet, N., Amirault, D. & Furlong, K. (2013). Evaluation of Nursing Central© as an Information Tool: Part I: Student Learning. Nursing Education Perspectives, 34(6), 416-418. 10.5480/1536-5026-34.6.416
- Secco, M.L., Bulman, D., & Wilson, K. (2013). Pilot Evaluation of a Virtual Clinical Excursion (VCE) Among Senior Nursing Students: Part I Quantitative Findings, Canadian Journal of Nursing Informatics, 7(3/4), http://cjni.net/journal/?p=2544
- Letourneau, N., Morris, C. Y., Stewart, M., Hughes, J., Critchley, K. A., & Secco, L. (2013). Social Support Needs Identified by Mothers Affected by Intimate Partner Violence. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 28(14), 2873-2893. doi:10.1177/0886260513488685
- Letourneau, N., Morris, C. Y., Secco, L. Stewart, M., Hughes, J & Critchley, K. (2013). Mothers and infants exposed to intimate partner violence compensate. Violence and Victims, 28(4), 571-586. http://dx.doi.org/10.1891/0886-6708.VV-D-12-00077
- Secco, M.L., Bulman, D., & Wilson, K. (2013). Pilot Evaluation of a Virtual Clinical Excursion (VCE) Among Senior Nursing Students: Part II Qualitative Findings, Canadian Journal of Nursing Informatics, 7(3/4) http://cjni.net/journal/?p=2542
- Temple, B., Dube, C, McMillan, D., Secco, L., Yu, D., Kepron, E. Dittberner, K., Ediger, J., & Vipond, G. (2012). Pain in People with Developmental Disabilities: A Scoping Review. Journal on Developmental Disabilities, 18(1), 73-86. http://www.oadd.org/docs/41011_JoDD_18-1_73-86_Temple_et_al.pdf
- Letourneau, L., Young, C., Hughes, J, Secco, L. & Stewart, M. (2011). Supporting Mothering: Service Providers’ Perspectives of Mothers and Infants Affected by Intimate Partner Violence. Research in Nursing and Health, 34, 192-203.
- Secco, M.L., Jamieson, B., Profit, S., Bailey, J., Brennick, D., Whitty-Rogers, J., & MacIsaac, A. (2010). A survey of nursing students’ perspectives on use of Nursing Central (C) on clinical learning. Canadian Journal of Nursing Informatics, 5(3), 2 – 20.
- Jamieson, B., Profit, S., Bailey, J., Brennick, D., Whitty-Rogers, J., MacIsaac, A., & Secco, M.L. (2009). An Evidence-based Pilot Project: The Influence of Information-Laden Handheld Computers on Computer Competence, Information Sources, and Stress Levels of Nursing Students, Canadian Journal of Nursing Informatics. Canadian Journal of Nursing Informatics, 4(4), 3 – 34.
- Secco, M.L., Jamieson, B., Profit, S.,Bailey, S., Brennick, D., Whitty-Rogers, J. & MacIsaac, A. (2009). Psychometric features of the Nursing Information Use Scale with a Sample of Nursing Students. Canadian Journal of Nursing Informatics, 4(1), 3–21.
- Woodgate, R., Secco, M. L., Ateah, C. (2008). Living in a World of Our Own: The Experience of Parents Who Have a Child with Autism. Qualitative Health Research, 18(8), 1075-1083.
- Feldman, M., McDonald, L., Serbin, L., Stack, D., Secco, M.L., & Yu, C.T. (2007). Predictors of Depressive Symptoms in Primary Caregivers of Young Children with or At-Risk for Developmental Delay. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, 51(8), 606-619.
- Secco, M.L., Kennedy, E., Profit, S., Walsh, A., Letourneau, N., & Stewart, M. (2007). Factors influencing postpartum depression among adolescent mothers. Journal of Gynecological Obstetric and Neonatal Nursing, 36(1), 47-54.
- Secco, M.L., Askin, D. & Yu, D. Garinger, J., Scharf, L., Schwartzman, L., Serban, L, MacDonald, L. & Feldman, M. (2006). Factors affecting parenting stress among biologically vulnerable toddlers. Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing, 29(3), 131-156.
- Secco, M.L., Woodgate, R., Hodgson, A., Kowalski, S., Plouffe, J., Rothney, P., Sawatzky-Dickson, D., & Suderman, E. (2006). A survey study of pediatric nurses’ use of information sources, Computers Informatics Nursing, 24(2), 105-112
- Secco, M.L. & Moffatt, M.E.K. (2003). Situational, Maternal, and Infant Influences on Parenting Stress Among Adolescent Mothers, Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing, 26(2), 103-122.
- Secco, M.L. & Moffatt, M.E.K. (2003). An exploration of Influences on the Quality of the Home Environment for Metis and Caucasian Adolescent Mothers. Canadian Journal Nursing Research, 35(2), 106-126.
- Ateah, C., Secco, L., Woodgate, R. (2003). The risks and alternatives to physical punishment use with children. Journal of Pediatric Health Care, 17(3), 126-132.
- Secco, M.L. (2002). The Infant Care Questionnaire: Assessment of Reliability and Validity in a Sample of Healthy Mothers, Journal of Nursing Measurement, 10(2), 97-110.
- Secco, M.L., Ateah, C., Woodgate, R. & Moffatt, M.E.K. (2002). Perceived and Performed Infant Care Competence of Older and Younger Adolescent Mothers, Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing, 25(2), 97-112.
- Secco. M.L. and Moffatt, M.E.K. (1994). A Review of Social Support Theories and Instruments Used in Adolescent Mothering Research. Journal of Adolescent Health, 15(7), 517 527.
Non peer reviewed publications:
- Secco, L. (2014). UNB Faculty of Nursing 19th Annual Research Day: Creating a Culture of Scholarship, 2014, Info Nursing 25(4), 25-28.
- CASN & Canada Health Infoway. (2012). Nursing Informatics Entry-To-Practice Competencies for Registered Nurses, http://www.casn.ca/vm/newvisual/attachments/856/Media/NursingInformaticsEntryToPracticeCompetenciesFINALENG.pdf (contributor & task force member).
- CASN & Canada Health Infoway. (2013). Nursing Informatics Teaching Toolkit: Supporting the Integration of the CASN Nursing Informatics Competencies into Nursing Curricula http://casn.ca/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/2013ENNursingInformaticsTeachingToolkit.pdf (contributor & task force member).
- Secco, M L (2008). (commentary). Parenting interventions for the prevention of unintentional injuries in childhood. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007, Evidence-Based Nursing 11(3), 73.
- Secco, M L & Walsh, A. (2007). (commentary). Weak infant sucking in the first 8 weeks, reliance on breastfeeding for 9 months, small feeds, and difficulties in weaning were associated with failure to thrive. Evidence-Based Nursing, 10(3), 90.).
- Jamieson, B & Secco, M L (2006). (structured abstract and commentary). The use of personal digital assistants at the point of care in an undergraduate nursing program by Goldsworthy, S., Lawrence, N., & Goodman, W. Computers, Informatics and Nursing 2006; 24(3), 138-143, Canadian Journal of Nursing Informatics, 1(3). http://www.cnia.ca/journal/volume1_no3a.html.
- Secco, L. Profit, S, & Letourneau, N. (2006). (Commentary). A self directed behavioural family intervention with telephone consultations improved toddler behaviour and parenting skills. Evidence-Based Nursing, 9(4), 106.
- Secco, M.L, Kennedy, E, & Profit, S. (2006) (Structured abstract and commentary). Falls in hospitalized patients. Can nursing information systems predict falls? By Giles, LC et al., (Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 24(3), 167-172, Canadian Journal of Nursing Informatics, 1(2). http://www.cnia.ca/journal/volume1_no2g.html
2016 - pres.: Inter-Faculty Assessement Committee, member
2106 - pres.: Factuly Assessment Committee, member
2012-2014 Nursing Representative for the Dean; University Strategic Research Planning Committee
2012-present: Senate Committee on Libraries
2010 - 2014 Board Member, Muriel McQueen Furgusson Centre on Family Violence
2010 - 2014 Member, O'Brien Foundation Evaluation Committee
2007 - 2011 CATCH (Children at the Critical Hour) Program Management Committee, Island Justice Community Society, Sydney, NS