Bachelor of Kinesiology with Honors, Acadia University
Master of Science in Kinesiology, The University of Western Ontario
Bachelor of Nursing Science, The University of Western Ontario
Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing, The University of Western Ontario
Key area(s) of interest/expertise:
- Health care leadership, management, and health human resources
- Workplace relationships and employee health and wellbeing
- Workplace transitions (including new graduate nurses)
- Healthy aging, health promotion, exercise training, and technology
- Quantitative and mixed methods research including surveys and interventions
- Instrument development and validation
- Structural equation modeling
Classroom/clinical teaching summary
• Currently (2016-2017) I teach N2155 Clinical - Patients with Chronic Health Challenges which suits my clinical nursing expertise in geriatric rehabilitation. I am also assisting with N3092 - Nursing Research this fall. In the Winter 2017 term I will be teaching N4185 - Trends & Leadership in Nursing to the students at the UNB Bathurst site.
• In the past I have taught courses in data analysis and professional practice to nursing students in the 4-year BScN program and quantitative methodology to students in the nursing graduate program at the University of Western Ontario. I also have 12 years of experience working as a teaching and lab assistant for a wide range of kinesiology and nursing courses.
Research, grants & publications summary
Laschinger, H. K. S. & Read, E. A. (in press). The effect of authentic leadership, person-job-fit, and civility norms on new graduate nurses’ experiences of co-worker incivility and burnout. Journal of Nursing Administration.
Laschinger, H. K. S., Cummings, G., Leiter, M., Wong, C., MacPhee, M., Ritchie, J., ... & Read, E. A. (2016). Starting out: A national longitudinal study of Canadian new graduate nurses. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 57, 82-95. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2016.01.005
Laschinger, H. K. S., Zhu, J. & Read, E. A. (2016). The effect of new nurses’ perceptions of professional practice behaviours on quality of patient care, job satisfaction and career retention. Journal of Nursing Management. Early Online. DOI: 10.1111/jonm.12370
Read, E.A., & Laschinger, HKS. (2015). Correlates of new graduate nurses’ experiences of workplace mistreatment. Journal of Nursing Administration, 45(10 supp), S28-35. (Selected for Supplement: Nursing Workforce: Implications for Nurse Executives).
Laschinger, HKS, Consiglio, C, Borgogni, L., Read, E. A. (2015). The Effects of Authentic Leadership and Occupational Coping Self-Efficacy on New Graduate Nurses’ Burnout and Mental Health: A Cross-sectional Study. International Journal of Nursing Studies.
Read, E. A., Laschinger, HKS. (2015). The Influence of Authentic Leadership and Empowerment on Nurses’ Relational Social Capital, Mental Health, and Job Satisfaction over the First Year of Practice. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 71(7):1611-23. doi: 10.1111/jan.12625.
Laschinger, H.K.S., Read, E., Wilk, P., & Finegan, J. (2014). The Influence of Nursing Unit Empowerment and Social Capital on Unit Effectiveness and Nurse Perceptions of Patient Care Quality. Journal of Nursing Administration, 44(6), 347-352.
Read, E.A. (2014). Feasibility of the diabetes and technology for increased activity (DaTA) study: A pilot intervention in high-risk rural adults. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 11(1), 118-126.
Read, E.A. (2014). Workplace social capital in nursing: an evolutionary concept analysis. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 70(5), 997-1007.
Read, E.A., & Laschinger, HKS. (2013). Correlates of new graduate nurses’ experiences of workplace mistreatment. Journal of Nursing Administration, 43(4), 221-228. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0b013e3182895a90
Laschinger, H.K., Wong, C.A., Grau, A.L., Read, E.A., and Pineau Stam, L.M. (2012). Influence of leadership practices and empowerment on Canadian nurse managers. Journal of Nursing Management, 20(7), 877-888. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2834.2011.01307.x.
Stuckey M, Fulkerson R, Read E, Russell-Minda E, Munoz C, Kleinstiver P, Petrella R. (2011). Remote monitoring technologies for the prevention of metabolic syndrome: the Diabetes and Technology for Increased Activity (DaTA) study. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology, 5(4), 936-44.
Stuckey M, Russel-Minda, B. Read E, Munoz C, Shoemaker K, Kleinstiver P, Petrella R. (2011). Diabetes and Technology for Increased Activity (DaTA) study: results of a remote monitoring intervention for prevention of metabolic syndrome. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology, 5(4), 928-35.
Laschinger, HKS, Read, EA. (in press). Workplace empowerment and employee wellbeing. In M. Leiter (Ed.).Routledge Companion to Wellbeing at Work. London, UK: Routledge.
Laschinger, HKS, Read, EA, & Zhu, J. (2016). Empowerment and commitment in healthcare. In J. Meyer (Ed.) Handbook of organizational commitment. New York: Sage.
Laschinger, HKS, Stutsky, B., & Read, EA. (2015). Influence of leadership and support structures on interprofessional collaboration, team effectiveness, and patient care quality. In C. Orchard & L. Bainbridge (Eds.). Interprofessional client-centered collaborative practice – What does it look like? How can it be achieved? Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science Publishers.
Laschinger HKS, Duffield C, Read EA (2014). Empowerment and Leadership. In J. Daly, S. Speedy, & D. Jackson (Eds.). Nursing, Leadership and Nursing: Contemporary Perspectives (pp. 171-186) (2nd ed.) Chatswood, NSW: Elsevier Australia.
Professional practice, committees, volunteer work summary
University Service and Professional Organizations:
• Graduate Curriculum Committee, Faculty of Nursing, University of New Brunswick (2016-2017)
• Council of Graduate Education in Administrative Nursing (CGEAN), International Liaison, Board of Directors (2016-2017)
• Nursing Student Representative, Faculty of Health Sciences Council, Western University (2013-2015)
• Nursing Research Advisory Committee, Western University (2013-2015)
• Graduate Program Council Evaluation Committee, Western University (2012-2014)
• Workplace Liaison Executive Network Officer, Registered Nurses Association of Ontario (RNAO) Middlesex-Elgin Chapter (2012-2014).
• Awards & Scholarships Committee, Sigma Theta Tau, Iota Omicron Chapter (2012-2013)
• RNAO Middlesex-Elgin Chapter Student Liaison (2010-2012).
• Professional Events Coordinator, Acadia Kinesiology Association (2006-2007)
Evaluation of Articles for Scientific Journals & Conferences:
• Iota Omicron Chapter of STTI – reviewer for research grants and abstracts for annual research day
• Academy of Management Healthcare Management Division - reviewer of papers for Annual Scientific Meeting (Outstanding Reviewer Award for 2015)
• Applied Nursing Research (Top Reviewer for 2013, 2014)
• Journal of Nursing Scholarship
• Journal of Physical Activity and Health
• Journal of Advanced Nursing
Professional Memberships & Certifications:
• Exercise is Medicine Healthcare – Network Provider (2016-present)
• Registered Nurse, Nursing Association of New Brunswick (2016-present)
• CGEAN - Network Advancing Nursing Leadership and Administration (2013-present)
• Registered Nurse, College of Nurses of Ontario (2012-present)
• Sigma Theta Tau, Iota Omicron Chapter (2012-present)
• Academy of Management (2012-present)
• RNAO Middlesex-Elgin Chapter (2010-2016)
• RNAO Nursing Leadership Network Interest Group (2010-2016)
• RNAO Nursing Research Interest Group (2010-2016)
• Certified Personal Trainer, Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (2007-present)
• Certified NLS & First Aid Instructor, Canadian Lifesaving Society (2004-present)
• Certified NLS – Pool (1997- present) and Waterfront (2001-present)
• R.E.A.D. Program Volunteer, London Public Library (2013-2014)
• Heart and Stroke Foundation Volunteer, London, Ontario (2009-2010)
• Special Olympics Volunteer, Wolfville, Nova Scotia (2004-2008)
• Kinderskills (preschool motor learning program) volunteer, Acadia University (2005-2008)
• Assistant Coach, Varsity Women’s basketball, Acadia University (2004-2005)
• Assistant Coach, Horton High School JV basketball, Wolfville, Nova Scotia (2004-2005)
• Youth & Teen Volunteer, Cumberland YMCA, Amherst, Nova Scotia (1997-2001)