Donna Bulman, RN, BN, MAdEd, PhD
Phone: (506) 458-7636
Fax: (506) 453-4519
- PhD, The University of Nottingham, Nottingham, England, 2004.
- Dissertation: Learning about HIV/AIDS in the Maritime Provinces of Canada: Hearing women’s voice.
- MAdEd, Saint Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scoria, 1998. Thesis: Adult literacy among women in Canada
- BN, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, 1986
Key area of interest/expertise
- Women’s health and HIV/AIDS
- Migratory workers and HIV
- Qualitative research
- Community development
- Building a vision for community-based health care: Participatory terms of reference development for an assisted living facility in Tobique First Nation. Funded by the Aboriginal Health Research Program, Donna Bulman (PI), 2008-2010 ($3525.55)
- Migratory workers and HIV/AIDS: Exploring the risks from a New Brunswick perspective. Funded by the Harrison McCain Foundation, Donna Bulman (PI), 2009-2010 ($15000.00)
- HIV testing during pregnancy: Utilizing New Brunswick women’s voices to inform policy. Funded by the University of New Brunswick, Donna Bulman (PI), 2009-2010, ($6000.00)
- Promising practices in the engagement of people living with or at risk for HIV/AIDS in rural Canada. Funded by CIHR to a team of Paterson. Dingwell, Fong and Jackson, (co-PIs) and Bulman, Duffy, Elliott, Jeffrey, Jurgens, MacDonald, & MacDonald, (Co-investigators), 2009-2012 ($324,303.00)
- Evaluation of a virtual clinical learning experience for nursing students. Funded by Sigma Theta Taito a team of Loretta Secco (PI), Cathy Wilson and Donna Bulman (Co-investigators), 2010-2011 ($4910.00)
- Centre for REACH (Research Evidence into Action for Community Health) in HIV/AIDS. Funded by CIHR to a team of Sean Rourke (PI) and many co-investigators including Donna Bulman, 2009-2014 ($500,000.00)
- Wait time related experiences, satisfaction, and expectations for cancer care. Funded by CIHR to a team of Maria Mathews (PI), Co-investigators: Peter Dawe, Donna Bulman, Kathy Fowler, Bill Pollett, Sharon Smith, Veeresh Gadag, Peter Wang, Roy West, Marshall Godwin, 2008-2011 ($298,375.00)
- Men’s health promotion and work engagement in the context of workplace bullying. Funded by Canadian Institute of Health Research/PRR to a team of Judy MacIntosh (PI) and Judy Wuest, and Donna Bulman, 2010-2014 ($137,000.00)
Peer reviewed publications
- Gustafson, D & Bulman, D. (2009, Guest Editors). Women’s health and Urban life: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal, 3(1), Department of Sociology, University of Toronto. (Peer Reviewed Journal).
- Caison, A., Bulman, D., Pai, Shweta, & Neville, D. (2008). Exploring technology readiness of nursing and medical students at a Canadian University. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 22 (3), 283-294.
- Thompson, P., Ellison, Byrom, T., & Bulman, D. (April, May, 2007). Invisible labour: Home School relations and the front office. Gender and Education, 19 (2), 141-158.
- Avis, M., Bulman, D., & Leighton, P. (2007). Factors affecting participation in Sure Start programmes: a qualitative investigation of parents’ views. Health and social care in the community, 15 (3), 203-211.
- Bulman, D., (2006). A constructivist approach to HIV/AIDS education for women within the Maritime Provinces of Canada. International Journal of Lifelong Education, 24 (6), 475-487.
- Bulman, D., Coben, D., & Nguyen, V. (2004). Educating women about HIV/AIDS: Some international comparisons. Compare, 34 (2), 141-159.
Non-peer reviewed publications
- Gustafson, D & Bulman, D. (2009). Urban women and problematic substance use: Framing the issues. Women’s health and Urban life: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal, 8 (1), 1-9.
- Bulman, D. (2009). HIV/AIDS screening during pregnancy: An opportunity for discussion. Connections, 12 (3), 14.
- Bulman, D. (2004). Women, literacy, development and gender: A telling case involving an HIV-positive woman. In: A. Robinson (Ed.), Women, literacy and development: Alternative perspectives (pp. 178-189). London: Routledge
- Bourassa, C. & Bulman, D. (2005). The voices of women and their experiences concerning HIV/AIDS. Moncton: SIDA/AIDS Moncton (Funded by CIHR)
- Thomson, P., Ellison, L., Byrom, T., & Bulman, D., with Davies, L. (2004). An investigation into queries that school offices receive from parents and carers (Research Report 575). Nottingham: DfES (ISBN 1 84478 309 X)
- Avis, M & Bulman, D. (2005). Evaluation Report: Factors affecting participation in Sure Start programmes: A qualitative investigation of parents’ views. University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK.
- 2009-2011 Board member Canadian Association of Nurses in AIDS Care
- 2010-2011 Executive Member of AIDS New Brunswick.