Students helping students
A Peer Mentor is an upper level student who is willing to share the benefits of their university experience with students entering the nursing program. Mentors are matched to a small number of mentees.
The purpose of the program is to:
- Help students during the transition to the first year of the nursing program and being a UNB student;
- Assist students to succeed academically;
- Increase communication among all students of the nursing program.
- Development of a helping relationship and enhancement of interpersonal skills;
- Promotion of a positive learning environment that is conducive to study and academic success;
- Development of collaborative group and leadership skills;
- Satisfaction experienced from helping other students succeed in the program.
The benefits for the mentees:
- Support from a successful upper level student during their first year in the nursing program at UNB;
- Assistance with asking questions and seeking advice;
- Increased awareness and use of student services;
- Acting as a source of motivation within their peer group;
- Suggestions or tips on how to integrate into nursing and university life.