Jonathon Edwards, PhD
Office Phone: 506-453-5139
Office Location: 2 Peter Kelly Drive, Room 206-B
BSM (Brock University), MA (University of Alberta), PhD (University of Alberta)
- Sport and recreation management
- Sport and recreation delivery systems
- Recruitment and retention of athletes by management of elite sport and recreation organizations
- Elite level sport
- Coaching and management relationships
- Understanding the operations and the management of nonprofit (volunteer based), public, and for-profit sport and recreation organizations
- Understanding athlete pathways from a management and sport organization perspective
- Athlete participation in recreation and sport
- Youth elite level sport
Dr. Edwards has a BSM (Bachelor of Sport Management) from Brock University, a Master degree from the University of Alberta, and his PhD in the field of Sport Management from the University of Alberta. His research interests include examining the relationship between non-profit sport organizations and the government, hockey organizations and structures, youth elite level sports, professionalization of sport, player pathways, sport systems, and institutional theory within the sport and recreation organization and management context. Dr. Edwards is open to exploring new research areas and sports, and welcomes the opportunity to discuss new ideas and research areas.
Current Research Projects
- How private schools with elite level hockey programs fit within the Canada’s Elite Level Hockey Development System.
- The recruitment strategies employed by NCAA Division I coaches for Canadian hockey players.
- The myth of the Greater Toronto Hockey League: A case study.
- Exploring the attractive features of franchises in the Canadian Hockey League.
Edwards, J., Mason, D.S., & Washington, M. (2009). Institutional mechanisms, government funding,
and provincial sport organizations. International Journal of Sport Management and Marketing, 6 (2), 128-149.
Mason, D., Buist, E., Edwards, J., & Duquette, G. (2007). The stadium game in Canadian
communities. International Journal of Sport Finance, 2, 94-107.
Chard, C., & Edwards, J. (2012). Understand the factors influencing parents’ sport choice decision-
making: A means-end analysis of hockey parents. Oral presentation at The Hockey Conference in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, July 12 14, 2012.
Edwards, J. (2012). Retaining athletes through volunteer-based organizations: Organizational strategies
for surviving in Canada’s hockey development system in Alberta. Poster presentation at the North American Society for Sport Management Conference in Seattle, Washington, May 22-26, 2012.
Edwards, J. (2012). Understanding the role of private hockey schools in Canada’s hockey development
system. Oral presentation at the North American Society for Sport Management Conference in Seattle, Washington, May 22-26, 2012.
Edwards, J. & Washington, M. (2011). Reputation development and management in elite level hockey
clubs in Alberta. Poster presentation at the Petro-Canada Sport Leadership Sportif Conference in Toronto, Ontario, November 10-13, 2011.
Edwards, J. (2011). Legitimate organizations: The attraction of Canada’s elite level hockey players to
the CIS, CHL, and NCAA. Poster presentation at the North American Society for Sport Management Conference in London, Ontario, Canada, June 1-4, 2011.
Edwards, J. & Washington, M. (2009). Hockey versus Basketball: A Comparative Analysis of Collegiate
Basketball in the US to Collegiate Hockey in Canada. Oral presentation at the North American Society for Sport Management Conference in Columbia, South Carolina, May 27-30, 2009.
Washington, M., Chen, W., & Edwards, J. (2009). Comparing Canadian and US collegiate athletics: The
impact of national identity on organization status. Oral presentation at the Western Academy of Management in Midway, Utah, March 19-21, 2009.