Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering
Talk to us about software engineering
What is software engineering?
The UNB Bachelor of Science in Software Engineering (BScSwE) program is a joint program of the Faculty of Computer Science and the Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering. The BScSwE program is one of 14 Software Engineering programs accredited by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB), and the only CEAB accredited Software Engineering program in Atlantic Canada.
Why UNB software engineering?
- Demand is growing for software engineers. An article written by Alexandra Davis, and published in the Daily Gleaner on May 1, 2010.
- An article by Andrew Strieber, writing for CareerCast.com, ranks Software Engineer as the top job in 2011 and in 2012. The ranking takes into consideration the five core criteria of Work Environment, Physical Demands, Outlook, Income and Stress. These criteria are considered important in providing the best overall experience for workers. Software Engineer ranked first in a ranking of 200 professions across a wide variety of industries, skill levels and salary ranges.
- Excellent Co-op Program: Our Co-op Program gives students the practical and financial advantage: students gain valuable experience and can earn up to $25 per hour (average workterm 6 salary = $18 per hour in 2011) during their work terms.
- Software Engineering was among the best careers in 2011 and 2012.
- UNB is a friendly, student-focused, small class size environment with individual attention.
- At UNB Software Engineering, you can combine the benefits of computer science and engineering expertise.
What can you do with software engineering?
- Applies engineering techniques to the design, implementation, testing and maintenance of software products.
- Careers in Software Engineering vary widely. Check out the link to see the kinds of careers that software engineers are engaged in.
You said it best
"Getting my Software Engineering Degree is a decision I am very glad I made. My time at UNB has provided with me the knowledge and skills needed to excel in the fast paced, invigorating world of high technology. A degree in Software Engineering is an excellent way to launch a career in any area of IT: hardware, coding, video games, web design - to name a few. If you're looking for a great education and challenging and interesting career, try your hand at Software Engineering - I dare ya!"
Katelyn Kent, B.Sc. Software Engineering graduate 2009
"The school environment is what I liked best from the Software Engineering Program at UNB. It offered a positive learning environment in the classroom with small to medium size classrooms and offered an easy access to high tech equipment and the opportunity to share with knowledgeable faculty staff and professors outside of the classroom. The knowledge acquired in the Software Engineering program lines up with the need of today's industries and employers. This, combined with the Co-op/PEP program, offered access to a wide variety of job opportunities and allowed me to find a challenging job".
Jean Sivret, EIT, NB Power, B.Sc. Software Engineering graduate, 2006