Esam M. A. Hussein
BSc, MSc (Alexandria, Egypt), PhD (McMaster University)
Tel: (506) 447-3105
Fax: (506) 453-5025
Receiving Editor, Applied Radiation and Isotopes
- Nuclear Methods for Nondestructive Testing & Imaging, Inverse Problems and Monte Carlo Methods
- Hussein, E.M.A., Innovation Achievement Award, a Canadian Nuclear Achievement Award, Canadian Nuclear Society and Canadian Nuclear Association, June 2003.
- Development of Neutron Scatterometer for Atomic Energy of Canada, won AECL Discovery Award for 2001.
- Sylvia Fedoruk Award - 2000, Saskatchewan Cancer Agency, with P. Busono: best paper in medical physics by a Canadian institution as judged by the Canadian College of Physicists in Medicine and the Canadian Organization of Medical Physics.
- Hussein, E.M.A., Computed Radiation Imaging: Physics and Mathematics of Forward and Inverse Problems, Elsevier, Amsterdam, June 2011 (http://www.elsevierdirect.com/ISBN/9780123877772/Computed-Radiation-Imaging).
- Hussein, E.M.A., Radiation Mechanics: Principles & Practice, Elsevier, Oxford, ISBN 978-0-0804-5053-7, 322 pages, Aug. 2007.
- Hussein, E.M.A., Handbook on Radiation Probing, Gauging, Imaging and Analysis, Volume I: Basics and Techniques, Kluwer Academic Publishers, ISBN 1-4020-1294-2, 464 pages, May 2003. (http://www.wkap.nl/prod/b/1-4020-1294-2).
- Hussein, E.M.A., Handbook on Radiation Probing, Gauging, Imaging and Analysis, Volume II: Applications and Design, Kluwer Academic Publishers, ISBN 1-4020-1295-0, 526 pages, June 2003. (http://www.wkap.nl/prod/b/1-4020-1295-0).
- Enjilela, E. and Hussein, E.M.A., "Refining a Region-of-Interest within an Available CT Image", Applied Radiation and Isotopes, Vol. 75, pp. 77-84, 2013.
- H.M.D., Agbogun, Al. T.A. and Hussein, E.M.A., "Three Dimensional Imaging of Porosity and Tracer Concentration Distributions in a Dolostone sample during Diffusion Experiments using X-ray Micro-CT", Journal of Contaminant Hydrology, Vol. 145, pp. 44-53, 2013 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jconhyd.2012.11.008).
Hussein, E.M.A., "The Physical and Mathematical Aspects of Inverse problems in Radiation Detection and Applications", Applied Radiation and Isotopes, Vol. 70, pp. 1131-1135, 2012 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apradiso.2011.11.041).
Kim, J.-Y., Choi, Y.S., Park, Y.J. Song, K., Jung, S.-H., and Hussein, E.M.A, "Thickness Measurement of Organic Films Using Compton Scattering of Characteristic X-rays", Applied Radiation and Isotopes, Vol. 69, pp. 1241-1245, 2011 (http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.apradiso.2011.03.048).
- Charles, E., Hussein, E.M.A. and Desrosiers, M., "One-Side Three-Dimensional Image Reconstruction of Radioactive Contamination", IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, Vol. 58, pp. 516-526, 2011.
- Subudhi, R. K., Hussein, E.M.A., and Al, T. A., “Measurement of spatial distribution of total and accessible porosity in sedimentary rocks using isotopic radiation transmission: Device design and testing”, Vol. 68, pp. 496–504, 2010.
- Yaar, I.; Peysakhov, I.; Hussein, E.M.A., “Passive Detection and Identification of a Concealed 241Am Source in Transport”, Packaging, Transport, Storage and Security of Radioactive Material, Vol. 19, pp. 189-196, 2008.
- Hussein, E.M.A., "On the Intricacy of Imaging with Incoherently-Scattered Radiation", Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B, Vol. 263, pp. 27-31, 2007.
- Myers, J. and Hussein, E.M.A., "Natural Beta Emission for Detecting Concealed Tobacco in Parcels", Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B, Vol. 263, pp. 214-216, 2007.
- Mercer, J.A., Hussein, E.M.A. and Waller, E.J., "A Non-intrusive Neutron Device for In-situ Detection of Petroleum Contamination in Soil", Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B, Vol. 263, pp. 217-220, 2007.
- Hussein E.M.A , Bowles, T.C., “Expanding the Domain of Contraction Mapping in the Inverse Problem of Imaging with Incoherently Scattered Radiation”, Inverse Problems, Vol. 23, pp. 1289-1309, 2007.
- Thangavelu, S. and Hussein, E.M.A., "Flaw Detection by Spatially Coded Backscatter Radiography", Applied Radiation and Isotopes, vol. 65, pp. 189-198, 2007.
- Arsenault, P.J. and Hussein, E.M.A. “Image Reconstruction from the Compton Scattering of X-ray Fan Beams in Thick/Dense Objects”, IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, Vol. 53, pp. 1622-1633, 2006.
- Hussein, E.M.A., “On the Non-Intrusive Measurement of Density at a Point", Acta Physica et Chimica Debrecina”, Vol.%7eXXXVIII-XXXIX, 2005.
- Van Wart, J.A., Waller, E.J. and Hussein, E.M.A. "Detection And Localization Of Money Bills Concealed Behind Wooden Walls Using Compton Scattering", Nuclear Technology, Vol. 50, pp. 196-202, 2005.
- Buell, J.R., Byskal, D.P., Desrosiers, M.R., Hussein, E.M.A., Ingham P.J. and Swartz R.S., "A Neutron Scattereometer for Void-fraction Measurement in Heated Rod-bundle Channels under CANDU LOCA Conditions", International Journal of Multiphase Flow, Vol. 31 pp. 452–472, 2005.
- Hussein, E.M.A., Desrosiers, M. and Waller, E.J, "On the use of radiation scattering for the detection of landmines ", Radiation in Physics and Chemistry, Vol. 73, pp. 7-19, 2005.
- Yaar, I. and Hussein, E.M.A., "Passive Detection of Concealed 90 Sr Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generators in Transport ", Packaging, Transport, Storage and Security of Radioactive Material, Vol. 15, pp. 149-154, 2004.
- El Khettabi, F., Hussein E.M.A. and Jama H.A., “A Nonrotating Multiparameter 3-D X-ray Imaging System. Part I: Modeling and Reconstruction", IEEE Transaction on Nuclear Science: Nuclear Medical and Imaging Sciences, Vol. 51, pp. 641-647, 2004.
- Jama H.A., Hussein, E.M.A. and El Khettabi, F., “A Nonrotating Multiparameter 3-D X-ray Imaging System. Part II: Design and Experiments”, IEEE Transaction on Nuclear Science Nuclear Medical and Imaging Sciences, in press Vol. 51, pp. 648-658, 2004.
- Tang, S.-S. and Hussein, E.M.A., “Use of isotopic gamma sources for identifying anti-personnel landmines”, Applied Radiation and Isotopes, Vol. 61, pp. 3-10, 2004.
- Achmad, B. and Hussein, E.M.A., “An X-Ray Compton Scatter Method for Density Measurement at a Point within an Object” Applied Radiation and Isotopes, Vol. 60, No. 6, pp. 805-814, 2004.
- El Khettabi, F., Yaar, I. and Hussein, E.M.A., “ A 3D X-Ray Scattering System for Multi-Parameter Imaging of the Human Head”, Medical Physics, Vol. 48, pp. 3445-3458, 2003.
- El Khettabi, F. and Hussein, E. M. A., “An inverse problem for three-dimensional x-ray scatter/transmission imaging”, Inverse Problems, Vol. 19, pp.447-495, April 2003.
- Hussein, E.M.A. and Waller, E.J., “Landmine Detection: The Problem and the Challenge”, Applied Radiation and Isotopes, Vol. 53, pp. 557-563, 2000.
- Ho, A. and Hussein, E.M.A., “Quantification of Gamma-Ray Compton Scatter Nondestructive Testing”, Applied Radiation and Isotopes, Vol. 53, pp. 541-546, 2000.