Resumes and cover letters
Application for a work term requires a cover letter and resume. Workshops are scheduled in advance of application dates to help students prepare these documents. Please consult with the Co-op Program Assistant for the exact workshop dates.
Your cover letter should introduce you to potential employers and answer the questions what's in it for them and what's in it for you. Employers will appreciate your ability to express how they can help you explore and develop your career interets and how you fit into their organization.
Resume preparation can be a confusing and frustrating topic. The number of opinions on how, is only limited to the number of people offering them. The key to success is focusing on what employers typically look for to develop a list of candidates for interviews.
- The layout should be simple, professional and attractive
- You have matched your relevant skills and experience to the opportunity
- You are clear, concise, use bullet points, short sentences making it easy to read.
- Emphasize all personal and transferable skills and not just your knowledge base.
- Focus on your accomplishments and results of what you have done not the duties and responsibilityes of what you are suppose to do.