About College Hill Daycare Co-Op.
Campus child care has been an issue at the University of New Brunswick since the mid-1980's.
In 1988, a survey of faculty and staff of UNB outlined the need for a campus day care center. These results became part of a proposal to UNB to study its feasibility.
In April 1992, the University of New Brunswick Day Care Working Group convened. They refined the proposal for the day care center by adding budgets and floor plans. The Day Care Working Group formed a "User Committee" to give direction to the architect. Plans were developed to accommodate participants in an integrated day care center.
Incorporation documents were filed with the New Brunswick Department of Justice in December of 1992. The association was incorporated March 11, 1993.
When filing for incorporation, the Board of Directors wanted to ensure that families would have an active involvement in all aspects of the daycare. The corporation is constituted as an independent non-profit association, incorporated by membership. The membership consists of parents/ guardians of the children and staff of College Hill Daycare.
On March 15, 1994, the finance committee of the Board of Governors approved the construction contract. In the spring of 1994, major financial contributions were made by UNB, STU and other University groups. The day care center is a University of New Brunswick building, leased to College Hill Day Care Co-Operative, Limited.
The day care center opened on September 6, 1994.
- College Hill Daycare Co-Op. values providing exceptional early childhood education in a safe and nurturing environment.
- College Hill Daycare Co-Op. values being a progressive and proactive organization in our curriculum, information dissemination and parental involvement.
- College Hill Daycare Co-Op. values developing partnership with parents/families through open communication, professionalism, teamwork and co-operation.
- College Hill Daycare Co-Op. values developing innovative programs that promote a love of learning.
- College Hill Daycare Co-Op. values being a multicultural community.
- College Hill Daycare Co-Op. values employing qualified early childhood educators
Our Vision Statement
College Hill Daycare Co-Op. is a place where:
- children are valued for their wonder, curiosity, perspectives and ability to lead their own learning.
- educators build on learning that came before and lay the groundwork for learning that will come after.
- the staff are valued for their role in keeping the children's fascination alive by promoting a love of learning creativity, fostering independence.
- there is acceptance and compassion for differences among people.
- children have the time, space and freedom to explore and investigate their interests and ideas.
- each teacher uses an array of techniques, materials and activities to bring about the child's total and unique growth.
- educators create a community where the children come to know that the group is valued, the individual is respected and that each person has a responsibility with the class.
- we are all partners in education and continued growth of the children.
- we support each other, sharing the same vision and encouraging the same goals for your child.