Dr Susan O'Donnell
PhD (Dublin City University), MA (Cardiff University), BA (University of Ottawa)
Susan is a senior research officer in the Human-Computer Interaction team at the National Research Council (NRC) on the UNB Fredericton campus. Her research expertise is community, social and political aspects of digital communications and technology adoption. For the first half of her 20-year research career, Susan conducted research in Ireland and the European Union.
In 2004, she returned to Canada and joined the UNB faculty as an Adjunct Professor. Since that time and in that role, Susan has been the principal investigator on a series of SSHRC-funded research grants in partnership with First Nation organizations - the First Nations Innovation project. Together their partnership has produced numerous publications about how remote and rural First Nation communities are using and innovating with information and communication technologies (ICT). Over the years, many UNB graduate students have had the opportunity to work on this project and lead and co-author conference papers and journal articles with research partners and First Nation community members - on topics ranging from settler colonialism and broadband infrastructure to First Nation community perspectives on telehealth. Susan also participates on graduate thesis supervisory committees.
Selected recent publications
- Molyneaux, H., O'Donnell, S., Kakekaspan, C., Walmark, B., Budka, P., Gibson, K. (in press) Social Media in Remote First Nation Communities. Canadian Journal of Communication.
- Whiteduck, G., Tenasco, A., O’Donnell, S., Whiteduck, T., Lockhart E. (2014) Developing an e-Community Approach to Community Services in Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg First Nation. Journal of Community Informatics, 10 (2).
- Simon, J., Burton, K., Lockhart, E., O’Donnell S. (2014) Post-secondary Distance Education in a Contemporary Colonial Context: Experiences of Students in a Rural First Nation in Canada. The International Review of Research on Open and Distance Learning. 1(15), 1-19.
- Carpenter, P., Gibson, K., Kakekaspan, C., O’Donnell, S. (2013). How Women in Remote and Rural First Nation Communities are Using Information and Communications Technologies (ICT). In W. Ashton & A. S. Carson (Eds.), [Special issue]. The Journal of Rural and Community Development, 8(2), 79-97.
- Gray-McKay, C. Gibson, K., O’Donnell, S., People of Mishkeegogamang (2014) An Inquiry into Community Members’ Use and Attitudes Toward Technology in Mishkeegogamang Tepacimowin Networks. Journal of Community Informatics, 10 (1).
- O’Donnell, S., Johnson, L., Kakepetum-Schultz, T., Burton, K., Whiteduck, T., Mason, R., Beaton, B., McMahon, R., Gibson, K. (2013) Videoconferencing for First Nations Community-Controlled Education, Health and Development. Electronic Journal of Communication. 23 (1&2).
- Mather, L., Molyneaux, H., Lebouthillier, A., Guerrette-Daigle, L. Robichaud, S., Leblanc-Cormier, G., O’Donnell, S., Fournier, H., Sirois, P. (2013) Factors Affecting Nurses’ Attitudes Toward an Automated Dispensing Unit: A Cross Sectional Quantitative Study. Canadian Journal of Nursing Informatics. Vol. 7 No. 3/4.
- Molyneaux, H., O’Donnell, S., Milliken, M. (2012) Staying Socially Connected with Video Communication: A Case Study. Canadian Journal of Communication, 37(3) 421-441.
- Milliken, M., O’Donnell, S., Gibson, K., Daniels, B. (2012) Older Adults and Video Communications: A Case Study. Journal of Community Informatics, 8 (1).
- O’Donnell, S., Kakekaspan, G., Beaton, B., Walmark, B., Mason, R., Mak, M. (2011) A New Remote Community-Owned Wireless Communication Service: Fort Severn First Nation Builds Their Local Cellular System with Keewaytinook Mobile. Canadian Journal of Communication, 36(4) 663-673.
- McMahon, R., O'Donnell, S., Smith, R., Walmark, B., Beaton, B., Simmonds, J. (2011) Digital Divides and the ‘First Mile’: Framing First Nations Broadband Development in Canada. International Indigenous Policy Journal, 2(2).
- Gibson, K., Coulson, H., Kakepetum-Schultz, T., O’Donnell, S. (2011) Mental health professionals’ perspectives of telemental health with remote and rural First Nations communities. Journal of Telemedicine and Telecare 2011; 17: 263–267.
- Gibson, K., Coulson, H., Miles, R., Kakekakekung , C., Daniels, E., O'Donnell, S. (2011) Conversations on telemental health: listening to remote and rural First Nations communities. Rural and Remote Health 11: 1656 (Online).
- Gratton, M.-F., O’Donnell, S. (2011) Communication Technologies for Focus Groups with Remote Communities: A Case Study of Research with First Nations in Canada. Qualitative Research. 11(2): 159-175.
Office: NRC Building, 46 Dineen Drive