Dr Maria Costanza Torri
PhD (Paris1-Pantheon-Sorbonne), MA (IAMM-CHEAM), BA (University of Ancona, Italy)
Prior to her appointment at UNB Dr. Torri was a Post-doctoral Fellow at the University of Montreal, Centre for International Studies and a research fellow at the Human Rights Research Centre, University of Ottawa. She has also worked extensively in Asia and Latin America on out numerous research projects concerning gender and community development with a special focus on health and indigenous communities. Her recent research is on intercultural health and gender entrepreneurship and health. She has taught undergraduate and graduate courses in international development, and health studies at the University of Toronto, University of Montreal, and Laurentian University.
- Torri, M.C. (in press). Illness and healing in urban areas in Chile: between traditional and cultural adaptation, Oxford Development Studies.
- Torri, M.C., Herrmann, T.M. (2011). Bridges between tradition and innovation in ethnomedicine: fostering local development through community-based enterprises in India, Springer, Dordrecht-Heidelberg-London-New York, 1stEdition, 222 pages.
- Torri, M.C. (2011). Linking Communities with the Medicinal Plant Sector in India, Development in Practice, 21(2):282-294.
- Torri, M.C. (2011). Multicultural social policy and community participation in health: new opportunities and challenges for indigenous people, International Journal of Health Planning and Management, 26(3):1-23.
- Torri, M.C. (2010). Health and Indigenous People: Intercultural Health as a new papadigm: towards the reduction of cultural and social marginalization? World Health and Population, 12(1): 30-41.
- Torri, M.C. (2010). Medicinal plants used in Mapuche traditional medicine in Auracania, Chile: linking socio-cultural and religious values with local health practices, Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine, 15(3): 132-148.
- Torri, M.C. (2010). Innovating through community capacity in traditional knowledge and Ethnomedicine: a case study from Tamil Nadu (India), International Journal of Technology Management and Sustainable Development, 9(1): 3-18.
- Torri, M.C., Laplante, J. (2009). Enhancing Innovation between scientific and indigenous knowledge in India, Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine, 5(29):1-12.
- Torri, M.C. (2009). Community entrepreneurship among lower castes in India: a grass-roots contribution towards poverty alleviation and rural development under condition of adversity and environmental uncertainty, Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship, 14(4): 413-432.
- Torri, M.C. (2009). Beyond benefit-sharing agreements: bioprospecting for the poor? International Journal of Technology Management and Sustainable Development, 8(2): 103-127.
Office: Carleton Hall, Room 133
Phone: (506) 453 5147
Fax: (506) 453 4659