Dr Melissa Sheridan Embser-Herbert
B.A. (The George Washington University), M.A.
(University of Massachusetts), Ph.D. (University of Arizona), J.D. (Hamline
Melissa Sheridan Embser-Herbert has been teaching at UNB since 2009. She is also Professor of Sociology at Hamline University in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Her primary area of research is gender and sexuality in the military. She is currently writing a book on sexual orientation and the military. Dr. Embser-Herbert is trained as a restorative justice facilitator, has volunteered with the Alternatives to Violence Project at Dorchester Penitentiary, and serves as co-chair of the Community Action Group on Homelessness, Fredericton. At UNB, Dr. Embser-Herbert has taught Canadian Society: Sustainability and Social Justice, Human Rights: Comparative Perspectives, and Inequality and Social Justice.
- Embser-Herbert, Melissa Sheridan. (2010) “When Women Abuse Power, Too” Washington Post, Outlook, invited commentary, 16 May 2004. Reprinted in Classic and Contemporary Perspectives in Social Psychology, Sharon E. Preves and Jeylan T. Mortimer, Eds., Oxford University Press.
- Embser-Herbert, Melissa Sheridan. (2009) “Should military combat roles be fully opened to women?” Invited op-ed published in CQ Researcher’s Women in the Military, Sage Publications, November 2009.
- Embser-Herbert, Melissa Sheridan. (2007) The U.S. Military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” Policy: A Reference Handbook. Westport, CT: Praeger Security International.
- Embser-Herbert, Melissa Sheridan and Elvira Embser-Herbert. (2006) “Changes in Latitudes, Changes in Attitudes: Is There a Role for Canadian Jurisprudence in Ending Discrimination in the U.S. Military?” William Mitchell Law Review, 32:2, 599-624.
- Embser-Herbert, Melissa Sheridan. (2005) “A Missing Link: Institutional Homophobia and Sexual Harassment in the U.S. Military.” In the Company of Men: Male Dominance and Sexual Harassment, edited by James Gruber and Phoebe Morgan. Boston: Northeastern University Press.
- Buysse, Jo Ann M. and Melissa Sheridan Embser-Herbert. (2004) “Constructions of Gender in Sport: An Analysis of Intercollegiate Media Guide Cover Photographs.” Gender & Society, Vol. 18(1).
- Embser-Herbert, Melissa Sheridan. (2003) “A Case Study in Values, Law School, and the Possibilities for Transformation.” Hamline Review, Vol. 27: 59-72.
- Embser-Herbert, Melissa Sheridan. (2003) Conference remarks published in Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell: Debating the Gay Ban in the U.S. Military, edited by Aaron Belkin and Geoffrey Bateman, Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner Publishers, Inc.
- Belkin, Aaron and Melissa Sheridan Embser-Herbert. (2002) “A Modest Proposal: Privacy as a Flawed Rationale for Excluding Gays and Lesbians from the U.S. Military.” International Security 27(2): 178-197.
- Herbert, Melissa S. (1998) Camouflage Isn’t Only for Combat: Gender, Sexuality, and Women in the
Military. New York: New York University Press.
Office: Tilley Hall, Room 13
Phone: 447 3419
Fax: 453 4659