Visits & Excursions
Sites worth seeing in Paris
- From Astérix to Quasimodo: Arènes de Lutèce, Cluny Museum, Notre-Dame Cathedral (Quasimodo and Esmeralda), l'Ile de la Cité, l'Ile Saint-Louis, Sainte-Chapelle, Saint-Germain, Saint-Julien-le-Pauvre, Saint-Séverin.
- From Louis XIV to Robespierre: Louvre (Mona Lisa), Place des Vosges, Carnavalet Museum, Hôtel de Rohan, Hôtel de Soubise, Palais Royal, Saint-Etienne-du-Mont (the tomb of Sainte Geneviève), Saint-Sulpice, Panthéon, Conciergerie (waiting for the guillotine!).
- From Napoléon to Picasso: Arc de Triomphe, Invalides (Napoléon’s tomb), Champs-Elysées (the shopper’s paradise), Opera Garnier (the Phantom of the Opera), Eiffel Tower, Montmartre (Bohemian life), Montparnasse, Saint-Germain-des-Prés (Jean-Paul Sartre), Orsay Museum (Van Gogh), Marmottan Museum (Claude Monet), Picasso museum, Pompidou Centre.
- Not forgetting the literary highlights: Académie française, Quartier latin (students everywhere), Maison de Balzac, Maison de Victor Hugo, Museum of Romantic Life, Café de Flore, Café des Deux Magots, the Lapin Agile in Montmartre, the Coupole restaurant in Montparnasse.
- And the political and economic highlights: The Paris Mint, the National Library, avenue des Champs-Élysées, Place de la Concorde, Élysée Palace (the residence of the President of France), rue du Faubourg-Saint-Honoré (the millionaire’s street), the Paris Stock Exchange, brand name boutiques, the Galeries Lafayette and Printemps (shopping galore).
Specific to UNB's France Travel Study program In the past, we have added the following visits and done the following activities
- Sorbonne University
- Salon Goncourt of the Drouant restaurant
- the Garnier Opera
- Bibliothèque Sainte-Geneviève
- Assemblée nationale (France's Parliament)
- Bank of France
- Canadian Embassy
- Centre culturel canadien
- Louvre at night
- Fashion show at the Galeries Lafayette
- Fragonard perfume museum
- Moulin Rouge
- the Mairie de Paris (City Hall of Paris)
- Night cruise on the river Seine
- Full day in Versailles
- And much more!
N.B. Many of these visits are exceptional and require special permissions that are only granted to the UNB France program.
Visit Paris with expert guides, discover sites many tourists never see and receive university credits (or audit courses for special interest).
Other Special Activities in Paris
In the past, we have attended:
- Concerts of Medieval music at Notre-Dame Cathedral
- Mozart's Requiem at La Madeleine
- The Four Seasons by Vivaldi at the Sainte Chapelle
- The play The Madwoman of Chaillot by Jean Giraudoux at the Champs-Elysees Theatre
In 2018, we intend to participate in these special events:
- La fête du pain (the Bread Festival) in front of Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris. This is your chance to meet bakers from all over France, see them at work and taste their products (various types of bread and pastries).
- La nuit des musées (the Night of Museums). On this occasion, the closing time of the museums is postponed to 1 a.m., which allows the public to visit the participating museums by night, for free. Many animations (concerts, plays) are offered during this event, which was attended in 2012 by two million visitors.
And yes, we will see a play, go to concerts and eat at various restaurants, if possible.
In this curriculum, we do everything possible so that you can fully enjoy your trip to France.
Excursions outside Paris
We are currently in the process of organizing daylong excursions outside Paris. Here are a few possibilities :
- Vaux-le-Vicomte castle
- Vincennes castle
- the medieval city of Rouen
- Giverny (the gardens of the painter Claude Monet)
- Auvers-sur-Oise (where lived and died Vincent van Gogh)
Obviously, all of this remains to be confirmed.