Van A Lantz
- ECON 3755 - Environmental Economics I
- ECON 3766 - Climate Change Economics
- ECON 5755/6755 - Environmental Economics II
- ENVS 6003 - Environmental Management Tools
- FOR 3101 - Forest Economics
- Eric Liu, MA, “Benefit-cost analysis of agricultural best management practices in a northern New Brunswick watershed”, 2013-15.
- Jessie Niyongabo, MEM, “How can nations avoid the resource curse?”, 2014-15.
- Jose Cubero Moya, MScF, “Factors affecting the participation and adoption of Best Management Practices in the Alternative Land Use (ALUS) Program in Prince Edward Island”, 2012-14.
- Nader Mirebrahimi, MA, "Testing the EKC Hypothesis for Canadian C02 Emissions using Different Emissions Factors Over Time", 2011-14.
- Kathy Moratis, MEM, “Effect of best management practices on sedimentation in the black brook watershed, New Brunswick: a statistical analysis”, 2012-13.
- Toni Anderson, MScF, "Valuing Environmental Goods and Services Provided by Agricultural Producers", 2011-13.
- Thomas Ochoudho, PhD, “Distributional Economic Impacts of Forest Policy and Market Changes Across Canadian Provinces”, 2006-13.
- Libby Johnston, MEM, "Evaluation of PEI's Alternative Land-Use Services (ALUS) Program", 2010-12.
- Wei-Yew Chang, PhD, “Socio-Economic Impacts of Forest Pest Management and Carbon Sequestration”, 2005-12.
- Louis Price, MEM, “Public Attitudes toward Fire Risk Reduction Policies in BC Forest-Dependent Communities Affected by Mountain Pine Beetle", 2010-11.
- Yu Ren, MEM, “Non-Market Benefits of Forest Conservation: A Meta-Analysis”, 2009-10.
- Ryan Trenholm, MScF, “Valuing the Ecological Goods and Services Provided by Riparian Areas in a New Brunswick Watershed”, 2005-09.
- Jeff Wilson, MScF, "A Benefit-Cost Analysis of the Protected Areas System in New Brunswick", 2004-09.
- Greg Slaney, MScF, “Benefits and Costs of Pest Management Investments: Application to Forested Landbases in NB and SK”, 2005-08.
- Mike Kennedy, MScF, “Economic Impacts of Management Strategies on Crown Land in NB.”, 2003-06.
- Jie Min, MA, “Modeling the US Demand for Canadian Softwood Lumber”, 2003-05.
- Crown Xu, MA, “A Production Structure Analysis of NB Forest Product Sectors”, 2002-04.
- Christina Feng, MA, “Testing for an Environmental Kuznets Curve for CO2 in Canada”, 2001-03.
- Wu, Y.Q., Y.H. Weng, C. Hennigar, M.S. Fullarton, V. Lantz. 2015. Benefit-cost analysis of a white spruce clonal seed orchard in New Brunswick, Canada. New Forests 46: 141-156.
- Ochuodho, T., E. Olale, V. Lantz, J. Damboise, J.L. Daigle, F.R. Meng, S. Li, T.L. Chow. 2014. How do soil and water conservation practices influence the impacts of climate change on potato production? Evidence from New Brunswick, Canada. Regional Environmental Change 14(4): 1563-1574.
- Lantz, V., W-Y Chang, C. Pharo. 2014. Benefit-cost analysis of hybrid willow crop production on agricultural land in PEI: assessing opportunities for on-farm and off-farm bioenergy use. Biomass and Bioenergy 63: 257-267.
- Ochuodho, T., V. Lantz. 2014. Economic impacts of climate change in forest sectors: a comparison of single vs. multi-region CGE modeling frameworks. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 44: 449-464.
- Lantz, V., P.C. Boxall, M. Kennedy, J. Wilson. 2013. The valuation of wetland conservation in an urban/peri urban watershed. Regional Environmental Change 13: 939-953.
- Ochuodho, T., E. Olale, V. Lantz, J. Damboise, T.L. Chow, F.R. Meng, J.L. Daigle, S. Li. 2013. Impacts of soil and water conservation practices on potato yield in northwestern New Brunswick, Canada. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 68(5): 392-400.
- Trenholm, R., V. Lantz, R. Martínez-Espiñeira, S. Little. 2013. A benefit-cost analysis of riparian preservation in an Eastern Canadian watershed. Journal of Environmental Management 116, 81–94.
- Ochuodho, T., Lantz, V., P. Loyd-Smith, and P. Benitez. 2012. Economic impacts of climate change and adaptation in Canadian forests: a CGE modeling analysis. Forest Policy and Economics 25: 100-12.
- Wilson, J., Lantz, V., D.A. MacLean. 2012. The social benefits of increasing protected natural areas: an Eastern Canadian case-study using the contingent valuation method. Forestry 85(4): 531-538.
- Chang, Y., V. Lantz, C. Hennigar, D. MacLean. 2012. Economic impacts of forest pests: a case study of spruce budworm outbreaks and control in New Brunswick, Canada. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 42: 490-505.
- Martínez-Espiñeira, R., and V. Lantz. 2012. Environmental Kuznets curves for bird abundance in Canada: an examination of alternative regression models using panel data. International Journal of Ecological Economics and Statistics 27(4): 1-14.
- Chang, Y., V. Lantz, C. Hennigar, D. MacLean. 2012. Benefit-cost analysis of spruce budworm (Choristoneura fumiferana Clem.) control: incorporating market and non-market values. Journal of Environmental Management 93(1): 104-12.
- Lantz, V., R. Trenholm, J. Wilson, W. Richards. 2012. Assessing market and non-market costs of freshwater flooding due to climate change in the community of Fredericton, Eastern Canada. Climatic Change 110: 347-372.
- Chang, Y., Lantz, V. and D. MacLean (2011). Social benefits of controlling pest infestations in two Canadian provinces: a contingent valuation approach. Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics 59(3), 383-404.
- Wilson, J. Lantz, V. and D.A. MacLean (2010). A benefit-cost analysis of protected natural areas in New Brunswick, Canada. Forest Policy and Economics, 12(2): 94-103.
- Slaney, G.L., Lantz, V. and D.A. MacLean (2010). Assessing costs and benefits of pest management on forested landbases in eastern and western Canada. Journal of Forest Economics 16(1): 19-34.
- Slaney, G.L., Lantz, V. and D.A. MacLean (2009). The economics of carbon sequestration through pest management: application to forested landbases in New Brunswick and Saskatchewan, Canada. Forest Policy and Economics ii(7): 525-534.
- Chang, Y., Lantz, V. and D.A. MacLean (2009). Public attitudes about forest pest outbreaks and control options: Case studies in two Canadian provinces. Forest Ecology and Management 257(4): 1333-1343.
- Patriquin, M., Lantz, V., Stedman, R., and White, B. (2008). Working Together: A Reciprocal Wood Flow Arrangement to Mitigate the Economic Impacts of Natural Disturbance. Forestry: An International Journal of Forest Research (in press).
- Lantz, V., and R. Martínez-Espiñeira (2008). Testing the environmental Kuznets curve hypothesis with bird populations as habitat-specific environmental indicators: evidence from Canada. Conservation Biology 22(2): 428-438.
- Kennedy, M., Lantz, V., and MacLean, D. (2007). Forest and economic impacts of alternative management strategies on Crown land in New Brunswick. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 37: 2624-2636.
- Kennedy, M.; Beckley, T.; Lantz, V. (2007). Expanding socio-economic considerations in the management of New Brunswick’s Crown Land forests. Forestry Chronicle 83(5): 708-713.
- McComb, G., Lantz, V., Rittmaster, R., and Nash, K. (2006). International Valuation Databases: Overview, Methods and Operational Issues. Ecological Economics 60(2): 461-472.
- Lantz, V. and Q. Feng (2006). Income, population, and technology impacts on CO2 emissions in Canada: where’s the EKC? Ecological Economics 57(2): 229-238.
- “Estimating the market and non-market economic impacts of climate-change induced sea-level rise in Canada”. SSHRC IDG, Ottawa, ON (2014-17; Principle investigator is P. Withey from StFX University).
- “Integrating selected BMPs to maximize environmental/economic benefits at field/watershed scales for sustainable potato production in NB”. Agriculture and Agri-food Canada, Ottawa, ON (2013-16).
- “Early intervention strategies to suppress a spruce budworm outbreak: economic aspects” Atlantic Innovation Fund, Moncton, NB (2014-15; Principle investigator is D. MacLean, UNB).
- “Economy-wide impacts of protected area establishment on forest and energy sector lands in the Lower Peace region of Alberta”. Government of Alberta (2012-13; Principle investigator is Green Analytics).
- “Wetland restoration incentives: evaluation of landowner preferences in a Southern Ontario watershed”. Credit Valley Conservation, Mississauga, ON (2011-12).
- “Cost-benefit analysis of willow production as an on-farm source of renewable energy in PEI”. Agriculture and Agri-food Canada, Ottawa, ON (2011-12).
- "An assessment of PEI's Alternative Land Use Services (ALUS) program". Linking Environment and Agriculture Research Network, Agriculture and Agr-food Canada, Ottawa, ON (2011-12).
- "A collaborative research partnership for sustainable forest management", SSHRC Community - University Research Alliance Grant, Ottawa, ON (2010-15; Principle investigator is D. Floyd from UNB).
- "Impacts of soil conservation BMPs on water quality in the Black Brook watershed, NB". Watershed Evaluation of Beneficial Management Practices program, Agriculture and Agri-food Canada, Ottawa, ON (2009-13; Principle investigator is L. Chow from AAFC).
- "Ecological goods and services: clarifying property rights, assessing costs and benefits, and proposing incentive structures in watersheds across Canada", SSHRC Standard Research Grant, Ottawa, ON (2009-12; Co-investigators are T. Beckley and W. Haider).
- "Costing climate impacts and adaptation: A Canadian study on the forest sector", Naional Roundtable on the Environment and the Economy, Government of Canada, Ottawa, On (2009-10; Principle investigator is MARBEK Inc.).
- Valuing wetland ecosystem services in the Credit River Watershed, Ontario", Credit Valley Conservation, Mississauga, ON (2008-10; co-investigator is M. Kennedy).
- Economics of Sustainable Forest Management". National Centre of Excellence, Sustainable Forest Management Network, Edmonton, Alberta (2006-09; Principle investigator is S. Kant, University of Toronto).
- “Valuing ecological goods and services produced by agricultural producers in PEI”, Agriculture and Agri-food Canada, Ottawa, ON. (2007-09; Principle investigator is the PEI Wildlife Association).
- "Role of pest management in sequestering carbon in the 2008-12 Kyoto commitment period: integration with CBM-CFS2 and economic analyses", National Centre of Excellence, Sustainable Forest Management Network , Edmonton, Alberta. (2004-07; Co-investigators were D. MacLean (UNB) and B. Cooke (CFS).
- “Private Woodlot provision of Public Goods”. Fundy Model Forest and Canadian Model Forest Network, Sussex, NB. (2005-07; Co-investigators are T. Beckley (UNB), S. Dalton (UNB), and G. Fox (UG).
Work in progress
- Ochuodho, T., V. Lantz, E. Olale. Economic impacts of climate change on agricultural crops across Canadian provinces: a multiregional dynamic CGE model analysis.
- Ochuodho, T., V. Lantz. Economic impacts of climate change considering individual, additive, and simultaneous changes in agriculture and forest sectors in Canada: A dynamic, multi-regional CGE model analysis.
- Withey, P., V. Lantz, T. Ochuodho. Economic Costs and Impacts of Climate-induced Sea-Level Rise and Storm Surge in Canadian Coastal Provinces: A CGE Approach.
- Lantz, VA, T. Ochuodho, P. Withey, M.N. Patriquin, J. Wilson, M. Kennedy. Economic impacts of conservation area strategies in southern Alberta, Canada: a CGE model analysis.
- Trenholm, R., W. Haider, V. Lantz. Valuing ecosystem services in watersheds across Canada: a choice experiment.
- Trenholm, R., T. Anderson, V. Lantz, W. Haider. Landowner valuation of wetland enhancement and restoration in the Credit River watershed, southern Ontario: a choice experiment.
- Lantz, V., T.O. Ochuodho, E. Olale, J. Damboise, T.L. Chow, F. Meng, J.L. Daigle (2013). Using sample plot data to assess the impacts of soil and water conservation practices on potato yields in Northwestern New Brunswick, Canada.
- Lantz, V. Cost-benefit analysis of flow diversion terraces in the Black Brook watershed: incorporating public values.
- Member, Senate, UNB (2012-present)
- Member, Fredericton Campus Budget Committee, UNB (2014-present)
- Member, Scientific Advisory Council, NB Energy Institute (2013-present)
- Chair, Senate Admissions Committee, UNB (2013-present)
- Member. Sustainability Advisory Committee, UNB (2013-present)
- Member. Creighton Conservation Forest Advisory Committee, UNB (2009-present)
- Graduate Studies Committee, Economics Department, UNB (2001-12)
- Executive Committee Member, APICS (Atlantic Provinces Council on the Sciences), UNB Representative for Environmental Studies Group
- Association memberships: ACEA, CEA, C-CIARN, AESN
- Associate Editor, Forestry Chronicle
Office: 468 Singer Hall
106-1 New Forestry Complex
Phone: (506) 458-7775