Male Violence Action Research Team (MVART)
MVART held their first meeting as a group in October of 2006 with the goal of “asking for directions” via public consultation sessions in order to find out what is perceived to be happening, and what people want to have happen, at the community level to reduce, and ultimately eliminate, violence against women. The goal of the team is to establish action-orientated research priorities to reduce men’s violence in relationships. The team is affiliated with the Muriel McQueen Fergusson Centre for Family Violence Research, and has established relationships with interested organizations and individuals throughout New Brunswick.
MVART held five meetings from October 2006 to April 2007, the purpose of which was to organize three provincial public consultations (one in French, one in English, and one for Aboriginal participants). The objective of the consultations was to solicit community responses to the following questions:
- What information do we need to gather in order to have a better understanding of the role men need to play in reducing, and ultimately eliminating, violence against women?
- What works and what doesn’t work with the present situation with respect to the role men need to play in reducing, and ultimately eliminating, violence against women?
- What issues should be the top priority and should be addressed in a research agenda on the role men need to play in reducing, and ultimately eliminating, violence against women?
A French-language public consultation was held on April 27th, 2007 in Moncton. There were fourteen people present including representatives from various agencies in the region as well as individuals attending for their own interest. An English-language consultation is planned for May 3 in Fredericton, and the Aboriginal consultation is scheduled for June 2 at St. Mary’s First Nation. Both the French and English public consultations were facilitated by Jacques Paynter (AMEC Earth and Environmental). The aboriginal consultation was facilitated by Barb Martin (Han Martin Associates).
Feedback from the French-language session was informative and the findings of this session and the other two consultations are included in a final report "Asking for Directions" (Download the english version). "Demander pour des directions" (Téléchager le rapport en français). Download the report from the aboriginal consultation.
For more information on this project, you can contact Luc Thériault, Sociology, UNB.
- Dr. Luc Theriault (UNB Sociology)
- Dr. William Patrick
- Rina Arseneault (MMFC)
- Timothy Gallagher (Menswork – Voix d’hommes)
- Miguel LeBlanc (Menswork – Voix d’hommes)
- Bob Stranach (Public Safety Canada)
- Emma Cunningham - Research assistant
- Norma Dubé (Province of NB Executive Council Office – Women’s Issues Branch)
- Linda Duffet-Leger (Nursing, UNB)
- Jeff Landine (Counselling Serivces, UNB)
- Dr. Nicole Letourneau (Nursing, UNB)
- Lorraine Whalley (Fredericton Sexual Assault Crisis Centre)