French Beginners Level 2
Continue to improve your French with this Level II Beginners course. The material covers a variety of everyday topics in a simple, concise manner. There are plenty of examples and explanations to illustrate how the language works and to build confidence. Each lesson contains: clear grammar explanations, vocabulary lists, reading material consisting of a story, dialogue or letter, questions for speaking practice, and exercises.
By the end of level II, you will have an expanded vocabulary and be able to understand, ask and answer questions using simple sentences.
Level II covers chapters 9-16 of Living French: A Grammar-based Course. This course is for you if you:
- Meet the criteria listed in Level I
- Have a basic French vocabulary
- Can form simple sentences and understand some spoken language.
Topics covered include:
- numerals 1-60, telling the time, seasons, months, days, present tense of irregular reflexive verb s’asseoir, the cedilla.
- countries, inhabitants, languages, towns, phrases with avoir, omission of the article, irregularities of some -er verbs, word order.
- numerals from 60 onwards, collective numerals and measurements, comparative and superlative of adjectives, present tense of connaître and savoir.
- relative pronouns, the conjunction que.
- quel and lequel, demonstrative pronouns, comparative and superlative of adverbs, present tense of vouloir and pouvoir.
- the future tense, use of the future tense, emphatic pronouns, present tense of ecrire and recevoir.
- the perfect tense with avoir, agreement of the past participle after avoir, the position of adverbs.
- the perfect tense with être, insertion of the definite article.
Materials: The required textbook for French Beginners II is Living French: A Grammar-based Course (by T W Knight, revised by Jean-Claude Arragon; published by: Hodder Education). This book is available on www.amazon.ca. Some copies are available at the UNB bookstore.
Instructor: Mark Temelini
Time: 6:00 - 7:30 pm
Dates: (FALL) Tuesdays, September 26 - November 28, 2017 (10 weeks)
(WINTER) Tuesdays, Januray 23 - April 3, 2018 (10 Weeks) (no class Mar. 6)
Location: Rm. 217, Carleton Hall, 19 MacAulay Lane, UNB Fredericton Campus (click here for campus map)
Course fee: (WINTER) $179 (no HST)
About the instructor:
Mark Temelini has been mastering French for many years. He holds a PhD in Classics and is an instructor in the Department of Classics and Ancient History at UNB. He is a recipient of the Faculty of Arts Award for Excellence in Teaching. He has extensive experience teaching post secondary students of all ages. He has lived in Montreal for 20 years and his proficiency in French earned him a university scholarship in France. He enjoys helping students understand, succeed and have fun during class.
Need help with the registration process? Watch the video below.
For more information
Please contact Alison Howells at 452-6360
For a complete list of Fredericton non-credit courses, please click here.
Click here for more information about inclement weather policies, parking regulations and payment options.