Project Management Essentials
Participants will gain practical knowledge and skills to be able to:
- Use the terminology and processes of modern project management – project scope, time, cost, and communications management
- Prepare a Project Charter and Project Plan
- Facilitate team discussions in preparing project plans and in executing projects
- Utilize project management templates
- Value the benefits of a consistent project management method
Who should attend?
The Project Management Essentials course is suitable for individuals who are:
- Responsible for managing smaller projects.
- Participants on a project team of any size, especially those who have not yet been exposed to the tools, techniques and terminology of formal project management.
What you will learn
Introduction and PM Context
- Portfolios, programs, projects
- Project success, project life cycles
- Workshops: Project priorities, project success
Initiating the Project
- Stakeholders and requirements
- Project team, working in a matrix
- Workshops: Project stakeholders, project charter
Planning the Project
- Work breakdown structure
- Project change control
- Communications planning
- Project risk management
- Critical path scheduling
- Workshops: WBS, critical path scheduling, change control, project communications plan, risk management, project schedule
- Roles and responsibilities
- Scope management
- Conflict management
- Leadership and motivation
- Schedule control
- Cost control
- Workshops: roles and responsibilities, conflict management, schedule updates, reporting and control
- Closing and lessons learned
|November 27-29, 2017||8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.||Fredericton, NB||$1295 +HST||Register now|
|May 15-17, 2018||8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.||Saint John, NB||$1295 +HST||Register now|
Janice Petley has over 20 years of project management experience as an Executive Producer, Producer, and Production Manager. Her typical assignments are definitely project management, but are anything but “typical”. Her event experience spans a wide range of projects: from classical theatre at the Stratford Festival and symphony concerts in the United States, to stadium and arena opera productions in cities such as Tokyo, Munich, and Brussels.
She holds both a BA from University of Western Ontario, a BEd from Queen’s University, and has her Project Management Professional designation. She also has an MBA.
Don Dickson is a project and portfolio management consultant with 25 years of project management experience ranging from team member to managing programs and both establishing and running project management offices (PMOs). This experience spans various industries from government, heavy construction, ship building, nuclear and information technology.
Helping companies implement and optimize their PMO governance processes, Don specializes in Demand Management, Capacity Management, Resource Management, Portfolio Management, and Project Management as supported by CA Technologies' Clarity PPM Software.
Don has a Diploma in University Teaching which he used for ten years as an instructor of undergraduate and post-graduate courses at the University of New Brunswick's Faculty of Business. He continues to use these skills now as a corporate trainer for Procept.
Want to further develop your project management skills?
For more information
Tel.: 506-453-3503 / Toll Free: 1-866-599-4646