CALS 4014 - University Prep Biology
This non-credit interactive course is intended to prepare students for university level biology courses. This course is fast-paced and takes place over 10 weeks. Assessment includes (but is not limited to) weekly quizzes, a mid-term and final exam.
Some of the topics covered in this course are:
- Cell Structure
- Mitosis and cellular reproduction
- Meiosis and the production of gametes
- DNA structure and replication
- Gene expression: protein synthesis and genetic mutation
- Mendelian genetics
- Genetic engineering/human genomics
- Evolutionary theory
- Mechanisms and patterns of evolution
- Neuron structure and function
- Central and peripheral nervous systems
- Glands and hormone action
- Homeostasis and feedback mechanisms
- Male and female reproductive systems
- Fertilization, development and childbirth
- Reproductive technologies and ethical considerations
Course Start Date: January 8, 2018
Last day for refund - January 12
Last day to enrol - January 4
Cost: $325 + HST
Textbook: Miller & Levine. (2010). Biology. Boston, Massachusetts: Pearson Prentice Hall. ISBN 978-0-13-366951-0
Note: The textbook is mandatory, and students must have it on the start date of the course.
You may purchase the textbook through the University Bookstore, either in-person or online.
This course is delivered entirely online via Desire2Learn (D2L) and Skype for Business. Students must have access to a computer, microphone and speakers, or a headset. Students will be required to participate in a live, interactive session to take place one evening per week for the course’s duration.
Note: If paying with internet banking it may take 3-5 days for the payment to reach UNB and for your registration to be complete.