UNB Art Centre

The Stained Glass Windows of Memorial Hall


Dedicated to Loring Woart Bailey, Professor of Natural Sciences. The window was a gift presented by the New England graduates. L. W. Bailey was a graduate of Harvard University; he came to UNB in 1861 at the age of 22 and taught at UNB until his retirement in 1907. He taught chemistry, physics, geology, zoology, physiology, and botany. He was a favorite with his students and shared his scientific knowledge with enthusiasm. He was part of the Geological Survey of Canada and explored the province charting the territory and drawing maps. Bailey is credited with operating the first telephone in Fredericton with John Babbitt and together they generated the first battery powered electric light in the portico of the Old Arts Building, now known as Sir Howard Douglas Hall.

The window features scenes from the poems The Musician’s Tale: The Saga of King Olaf, and The Song of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. Above these are symbols of Bailey’s profession, the lamp of learning and the mortar and pestle of the chemist.

The medallions above the window panels display emblems of Bailey’s subjects: astronomy signified by the planet Saturn; geology, an erupting volcano; geography, a waterfall; and history/archaeology by the Egyptian pyramid.

Bailey Window

For the most up to date information about our activities, follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/UNB.Art.Centre and on Twitter @UNBArtCentre or #ArtCentre75.

The UNB Art Centre is located at Memorial Hall, 9 Bailey Drive, University of New Brunswick, Fredericton. The galleries are open 9 am - 4 pm weekdays and for special events. Admission is free to members of the public. Everyone welcome!

Want to know more about the UNB Art Centre? Follow our blog.

For more information

Stay informed. Join our mailing list

Marie Maltais, Director
The UNB Art Centre
Phone: (506) 453-4623