Global Site Navigation (use tab and down arrow)

College of Extended Learning

The Loring Woart Bailey Window

Dedicated to Loring Woart Bailey, Professor of Natural Sciences. The window was a gift presented by the New England graduates. L. W. Bailey was a graduate of Harvard University; he came to UNB in 1861 at the age of 22 and taught at UNB until his retirement in 1907. He taught chemistry, physics, geology, zoology, physiology, and botany. He was a favorite with his students and shared his scientific knowledge with enthusiasm. He was part of the Geological Survey of Canada and explored the province charting the territory and drawing maps. Bailey is credited with operating the first telephone in Fredericton with John Babbitt and together they generated the first battery powered electric light in the portico of the Old Arts Building, now known as Sir Howard Douglas Hall.

The window features scenes from the poems The Musician’s Tale: The Saga of King Olaf, and The Song of Hiawatha by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. Above these are symbols of Bailey’s profession, the lamp of learning and the mortar and pestle of the chemist.

The medallions above the window panels display emblems of Bailey’s subjects:

  • Astronomy, signified by the planet Saturn;
  • Geology, an erupting volcano;
  • Geography, a waterfall; and,
  • History/archaeology, the Egyptian pyramid.

Bailey Window

For more information

Marie Maltais, Director
(506) 453-4623
ARTCNTR@unb.ca
Join our mailing list

Back to Stained Glass main page