Global Site Navigation (use tab and down arrow)

College of Extended Learning

Frequently asked questions


What do the terms used in the course descriptions mean?

  • Credit hours: Each faculty is responsible for assigning credit values to the courses they offer. The typical term course provides 3 credit hours and a typical full-year course has 6 credit hours.
  • Course numbering: First level courses are generally numbered in the 1000's, and second level in the 2000's and so on. In most cases, you would begin with first level courses, although particular background or experience may qualify you for a higher level course in some instances. Consult the UNB Undergraduate Calendar for advice on appropriate course levels.
  • Prerequisites: a prerequisite is a course, which must be successfully completed prior to registration in the desired course. Permission of the instructor must be sought in order to waive a stated prerequisite. There are many courses without prerequisites.

What are the different academic terms at UNB?

  • Fall term - September to December
  • Winter term - January to April
  • Summer term - May to August

In addition, throughout the year, a variety of courses are offered online through the Open Access Learning Program, which can be started at any time.

What is "myUNB" (e-services)?

myUNB is your one-stop access point to your personalized information (class and exam schedules, marks, unofficial transcripts, etc.) and secure services at UNB (course registration, WebMail, NetStorage, etc.).

Visit the student support page for more information on how to set up and use all your IT services. To access your e-services, click on the "myUNB" button on the UNB homepage.

How do I obtain a student ID card?

Once your fees are paid, you can visit the UNB Imaging Services office, located in Marshall D’Avray Hall, to obtain a photo ID.

Part-time students may order an ID card through their UNB e-Services (this card won't have a photo). Note: An ID card is required to sign out books from UNB libraries.

Where do I park on campus?

Parking permits are required to park on campus from Monday to Friday between the hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. There are numerous designated parking areas on campus.

How do I sign out books from the library?

You can sign out books in person (your UNB ID card is required), or you may use the distance services and virtual library services.

What kind of support is available to help me in my studies?

CEL provides support and guidance to part-time students and adult learners and can be your first point of contact for any questions. Student Affairs and Services offers a variety of helpful workshops to UNB students each term.

Some of the workshops offered include:

  • Improving examination skills
  • Time management
  • Study strategies
  • Note taking strategies
  • Essay writing
  • Critical thinking and reading
  • Introduction to university studies (UNIV 1001- 3 ch) offered each Fall term

Each program offers academic advising for their students. Contact your academic advisor for assistance in course selection and other academic matters.

What is a “No Degree” program?

If you are a mature student (over the age of 21), it is possible to opt for “No Degree” status rather than apply for admission to a particular program. This status allows you to take a limited number of credit courses (usually 7-8) as a part-time student while remaining uncommitted to a particular program.

You might consider becoming a “No Degree” student if you:

  • Are interested in taking courses for credit, but not sure you want to work toward a degree
  • Do not meet the admissions requirements for a program and wish to prove yourself
  • Require courses to qualify for entry into a professional or graduate program
  • Would like to start a course while waiting for your Admission to a UNB program

Courses completed as "No Degree" may transfer into a program depending on how the courses you select meet that program’s requirements.

To apply as “No Degree,” contact CEL at (506) 453-4646, or complete the UNB online General Admission Form and select “No Degree” as your program of choice. If you choose to use the online application process, the $45.00 application fee is payable by credit card at that time.


How do I find out what courses are offered each term?

Check the UNB online timetable and you can search by term, location, subject, and method of delivery.

How do I register for a course?

UNB students can register online. By having direct access to UNB's web advisor system, you will be able to register for courses, and make any subsequent changes. Web advisor includes an online Quick Tour. If you do have difficulty using the system, assistance is available from the Registrar's Office or CEL during regular business hours.

Your UNB student number, Login ID and your Personal Identification Number (PIN) will be required for online registration.

Your UNB e-mail/login is included in your admission letter or by contacting the Registrar's Office or CEL during regular business hours.

Register for an open entry online course.

What distance courses are offered at UNB?

UNB offers a variety of online and teleconferenced courses. Online courses that are offered each term are included in the main UNB timetable. Use the Web Advisor System to register.

To register for online courses that can be started at any time visit the online courses page and follow the registration guidelines.

What support is offered for distance courses?

CEL offers the following support to distance learners:

  • Online study support tools
  • Community liaison reps around the province
  • Open entry support:

To view teleconferenced courses, visit the UNB course timetable and search evening listings that are designated as (T).

How do I obtain my textbooks?

You can purchase your textbooks either online or in person through the UNB Bookstore located at:

29 Dineen Drive
UNB Fredericton Campus

Distance students can order books and have them couriered to them for a fee. Please contact the UNB Bookstore for details.

How many courses can I take?

Part-time students may take up to the three courses in any given term. The number of courses you take will also depend on your life and work commitments during a term. Students taking four or more courses in any given term, are considered full-time.

To remain active in your UNB program, you need to take at least one course per year.

How much time will it take?

A general guideline is that you should expect to spend approximately two hours in reading, assignments, etc. outside of class for each in-class hour. You are advised to consider carefully your other commitments in determining the number of courses that you can reasonably handle.

How many courses must I take at UNB?

The number of UNB courses you are required to take in order to graduate from UNB varies by program. Normally, 50% of your UNB program must be completed at UNB; however, there are exceptions and individual programs may have specific residency requirements. You should consult the current UNB undergraduate calendar, which outlines specific requirements for each program.

In order to remain an active UNB student, you must take at least one course per academic year. You will be required to re-apply for Admission should you become inactive.

How can I take courses at other universities?

Once you have consulted with your academic advisor to determine if off-campus study at another school is feasible, completion of the off-campus study form (PDF) is required. You will be expected to submit the course description with the request form. The off-campus study form serves as your letter of permission from UNB to the institution offering the course. Click here for further information about off-campus study.

What happens if I move?

We suggest that you meet with your academic advisor to determine the status of your UNB program and what possible options exist for completing your program at UNB. If you choose to apply to transfer to another institution, you can order an official transcript through "myUNB", and notify UNB that you are withdrawing from your program.

How do I apply to graduate?

You can apply to graduate through your UNB e-Services. You should check the UNB website for Graduation Guidelines and deadlines for application.

How do I obtain an official transcript?

You can order an official transcript through myUNB, by filling out the transcript order form, or you can contact the Registrar’s Office directly.


What are the tuition and student fees?

Consult Financial Services for a breakdown of tuition and student fees.

What if I already have medical/dental coverage?

Your full-time tuition fees automatically include the fees for medical/dental coverage, therefore, you must “opt out” of the coverage in order to obtain a refund. Note: there is a deadline for the “opt out”.

How do I pay for courses?

Courses can be paid through a variety of different payment options. All fees are automatically due the first week of classes each term. If you cannot pay your fees on time, you must immediately consult with Financial Services to discuss possible options.

Courses offered through the College of Extended Learning (CEL) can be paid at CEL.

Where do I get the Income Tax form T2202A to deduct my tuition?

Financial Services generates the tax form by the end of February: you will then have access to the T2202A form through myUNB.