Saint John Historic Buildings
Sir Douglas Hazen Hall
This building is named for Sir Douglas Hazen (1860-1937), a prominent former premier, member of the federal cabinet and Chief Justice of the province. Hazen Hall houses the offices of all departments in the Faculty of Arts, the campus computing centre, classrooms and a 240 –seat lecture theatre. <
William Ganong Hall
The Science building, William Ganong, is named after Francis William Ganong (1864-1941), a graduate of UNB, long-time faculty member at Smith College and a former president of the Botanical Society of America. The four-storey building is designed to provide facilities for Biology, Chemistry, Geology and Physics. Ganong Hall houses the largest lecture theatre on the campus, a micro-lab, a spacious display area, student laboratories, and facilities of a more specialized nature, such as a large greenhouse, a controlled environment room and research laboratories.
Phillip W. Oland Hall
W. Oland Hall opened in December, 1992 at UNB Saint John and houses the Faculty of Business and most of its administrative offices, including the Registrar’s Office, the Business Office, the President’s Office, the Vice-President’s Office, the Advancement Office, the Alumni Office, and Student Services. Five classrooms, an audio-visual theatre, a business case room with four break-out labs and a micro-computer lab are also contained in Phillip W. Oland Hall.
The building is named for one of UNB’s staunchest supporters. A loyal alumnus (BSc 1930, DLitt 1978), Phillip W. Oland (1910-1996) was chairperson and CEO of Moosehead Breweries Ltd. Dr. Oland dedicated a lifetime of service to his country and his community. He served in the Canadian Armed Forces during World War II, was the founder of the New Brunswick Youth Orchestra and sat on numerous board and committees for such organizations as the United Way, the YM/YWCA, the University of New Brunswick and St. Thomas University.
Ward Chipman Library
The Ward Chipman Library, one of the three original buildings on campus, is named in honor of Ward Chipman (1754-1824), a Massachusetts Loyalist who was deputy muster-master general to the British forces during the American Revolution; thereafter, he settled in Saint John where he culminated a distinguished legal career in being named to the New Brunswick Supreme Court. As of 2011, the Ward Chipman Library is being renovated to reflect the current needs of the campus.
K.C. Irving Hall
The K.C. Irving Hall is one UNB Saint John’s newest academic buildings, opened in fall 1999. The home of the campus’s Biology, Engineering and Nursing Departments, Irving hall features modern classrooms and state-of-the-art research and computer laboratories.
The building is named for Kenneth Colin Irving, in recognition of his family’s significant contribution to the economy of New Brunswick and to the lives, culture and education of New Brunswickers. The Irvings have provided generous support to the university as well as numerous community groups and initiatives.
Thomas J. Condon Student Centre
UNB Saint John’s Student Centre, located adjacent to the Athletics Centre, is interconnected to the other buildings on campus by an overhead walkway and an underground tunnel. The centre houses the cafeteria, Student Representative Council offices, a social club and lounge. The building was named in honour of Vice-President Emeritus Thomas J. Condon.
G. Forbes Elliot Athletics Centre
UNB Saint John’s Athletics Centre features a 30,000 square foot surface with an all-purpose synthetic floor. The Athletics Centre includes space for four basketball courts, four tennis courts, four volleyball courts, six badminton courts and a four-lane running track. There is also plenty of space for activities such as soccer and flag football. Spectators can enjoy the Universitys athletic teams, the Seawolves, from the 900 bleacher seats overlooking the main court surface. The ground floor includes locker and shower rooms, equipment storage rooms, a trainer’s room, and an officials’ room. Upstairs, there are a suite of offices and a reception area, a classroom, lounge, games room, and conditioning room.
The Athletics Centre serves the recreational and physical education needs of UNB Saint John students, faculty and staff, as well as several community groups. The Centre bears the name of the founding principal of UNB Saint John.
Canada Games Stadium
UNB Saint boasts one of the finest track and field facilities in the country. A legacy of the 1985 Jeux Canada Games, the stadium has a 400-metre, eight-lane all weather running track and a natural grass infield lighted for night play. There is fixed seating for 5,000, a press box, and other auxiliary facilities.
Sir James Dunn and Colin B. MacKay Residences
UNB Saint John offers two residences on campus overlooking the beautiful Kennebecasis River.
The Dr. Colin B. MacKay residence, opening September 2003 and was designed with input from our own students. It offers 168 beds in the form of spacious double suites for independent style living. Suites include two single bedrooms, kitchenette, complete with microwave and fridge and private three-piece bath. At UNB Saint John, housing is non-smoking, co-ed and security locked. Each room is furnished and standard house amenities include furnished TV rooms and study lounges, high-speed Internet and cable TV connections and laundry facilities.
The Sir James Dunn Residence, which opened in September 1993, offers 71 beds and an indoor connection to the campus. Single and Double rooms are available. Construction of the Dunn was made possible by a generous donation from the Sir James Dunn Foundation. It is named in honour of the noted Canadian industrialist and philanthropist, Sir James Dunn, who was a native of Bathurst, NB. The Sir James Dunn Residence, which opened in September 1993, offers 71 beds and an indoor connection to the campus. Single and Double rooms are available. Construction of the Dunn was made possible by a generous donation from the Sir James Dunn Foundation. It is named in honour of the noted Canadian industrialist and philanthropist, Sir James Dunn, who was a native of Bathurst, NB.
Hans W. Klohn Commons
Hans W. Klohn Commons opened in September 2011. The commons offers students the latest in technology, writing and library services. It houses a student technology centre; writing, math and statistics tutoring centres; and classroom and conference rooms. It integrates IT, information services, the computing centre and library in a single place.
The Commons is named for prominent New Brunswick businessman Hans W. Klohn who is well known for his many contributions to the steel fabrication and construction industry in Atlantic Canada and beyond.
The annexes house facilities for the International Office, International Recruiting, the Student Health Centre, and for part-time faculty and graduate students.
For more information regarding the History of UNB please visit: http://www.unb.ca/aboutunb/history/index.html