Culture and Media Studies
Department of Culture and Media Studies
|General Office:||Carleton Hall, Room 333|
|Mailing Address:||Department of Culture and Media Studies
University of New Brunswick
Box 4400 Fredericton, N.B.
Canada E3B 5A3
- Clarke, Liz, BA (Wilfred Laurier), MA (York), PhD (Wilfrid Laurier), Asst Prof - 2016
- Cruikshank, Lauren, BA (Bisops), MA (Queen's), PhD (European Graduate School), Asst Prof - 2014
- Guse, Anette, Staatsexamen I & II (Heidelberg), MA (Wat), PhD (Queen’s), Assoc Prof -2005
- Hamling, Anna, BA, BEd (Cardiff), MA (Queen's), PhD (Warsaw), Associate Prof - 1999
- Hornsby, Richard, Mus.Bac, Perf, M.M.
- Lavoie, Sophie, BA (King’s College/Dalhousie), MA (Queen’s), DEA, PhD (Provence), Prof & Chair - 2008
- Preston, Scott, BFA, MA (Concordia), PhD (York), Asst Prof - 2010
- Reid, Allan, BA (Sask), MA, PhD (Alta), Prof - 1991
The twin forces of globalization and technological change continue to reshape our increasingly complex and interconnected world. These circumstances compel us to respond to new challenges and new opportunities by understanding and appreciating diversity, by learning to navigate established and emerging mediascapes, and by discovering new ways to express ourselves through music, film, media arts, and multi-lingual communication.
The Department of Culture and Media Studies invites students to explore culture and cultural forms in an interdisciplinary environment. Students learn about culture through the lenses of film and media, literature, music, and other art forms, as well as the study of foreign languages. All of these subjects are examined in a variety of contexts and perspectives, from the practical to the critical and theoretical.
The Department of Culture and Media Studies offers the following academic programs:
Comparative Cultural Studies: Minor, Major, Honours;
Film Production: Major, (MAAC Concentration); Certificate in Film Production;
German: CCS Concentration;
Media Arts and Cultures: Minor, Major, Honours;
Spanish: CCS Concentration.
Film Studies: Minor (Interdepartmental Program)
The Department also offers language acquisition courses in Japanese, Russian, and Chinese. For course listings consult Section H of this calendar or visit the Departmental website at http://www.unb.ca/fredericton/arts/departments/cals/index.html