English as a Second Language
Established in 1950, the UNB English Language Programme (ELP) is one of the oldest English Second Language schools in Canada. ELP offers courses to assist non-Anglophones to function in an English milieu. In all formats, the language of instruction is English; all communication is to be carried on in English as well. Classes for all proficiency levels, beginner to advanced, are offered. Students are placed according to their levels.
A proven way to learn English with over six decades of success.
A. (Total Intense) SUBMARINE © Immersion Formats: This approach incorporates around the clock immersion, with classes and activities seven days a week. A Commitment Contract (Pledge) to function only in English for the duration of enrollment is the basis for success of these formats.
- Executive Model: Three-week and two-week, small group modules featuring individualized attention and personalized scheduling are offered throughout the year.
- Large-group sessions held over the course of five weeks are offered May/June and July/August.
B. English for Academic Purposes: A variety of programs are available to equip students with the English language skills they need to function in a university setting.
- Program of Academic English Preparation (PAEP) – UNB’s bridging program for undergraduate students; available each academic term. Receive academic credit from select faculties.
- Intensive English Term Format – 35+ hours per week from September-December January-April, and April-July.
- Intensive English Term Segment – 35+ hours per week from September-October, January-February and April-May.
- Evening classes, a three-hour block per week; undergraduate and graduate, credit and non-credit; September-December and January-April.
C. Daytime Personalized Formats: Private and small-group classes offer flexibility for busy schedules.
- One-on-one tutorial classes are available to meet individual needs
- Week-long classes (choose from 10, 15, 25, and 35 hours per week).
ELP offers several specialized programs and services, such as assessment services, professional development workshops and custom-designed group programs.